Tom McArthur

by Rachel from Atlanta

Tom McArthur was raised in Dunwoody, Georgia, but people in Frankfurt, Michigan are calling him a local hero. In Frankfurt, Michigan, McArthur serves as a U.S. Coastguard Seaman. One beautiful day, he and his friends decide to go to Betsie Bay on Lake Michigan while off-duty. Tom brings along his dog, Buddy. Tom and his friends are playing volleyball as the lake’s rip current becomes monstrous, just like at the ocean. At that time, no one realizes that a rip current could be deadly. So, people keep swimming.

The Hammon family also decide to spend a day at the beach. Susan and Roger Hammon have two sons who are both competitive swimmers. Their names are Chris and Daniel. Chris is 12 years old, and Daniel is 8 years old.

While the two boys are swimming, the rip current grows rapidly. Even though they are good swimmers, they get caught in the current. Without any thought, Roger jumps in after them. But before he knows it, he too is stuck. Susan is watching this scene and does not know what to do. So, she swims out and tries to save them. Unfortunately, Susan gets caught, and then the family starts to panic.

While Tom is barbecuing and his friends are sitting around talking, Buddy starts barking. Tom looks over to his friends and says that someone must be in danger because Buddy never barks. Tom pulls out his binoculars and sees a family caught in a rip current. He swims to save them. Despite the huge rip current and enormous waves, Tom rescues the family.

After saving the family, Tom and his friends are paying careful attention to make sure more people are not caught by the rip current. At the end of the day, Tom and his friends save a total of twenty people. They say that it is their duty to make people aware of the dangers of rip currents and how even good swimmers can get into life threatening situations.