Tony Mendez

by Elizabeth from San Diego

United States Embassy, Tehran, 1979. (http://www.thedailybeast.com (AP photo))

On November 4th, 1979, the entire nation had their eyes glued to their TV screens. This was the date of the Iran hostage crisis. Islamist students and militants had stormed the American Embassy and held 52 people hostage. In the midst of the panic, 6 members managed to escape into the streets of Tehran. Tony Mendez is a hero because of his bravery and courage when faced with a difficult situation.

Antonio Joseph Mendez was born in 1940 in Eureka, Nevada. Him and His family decided to move to Colorado when he was still in high school. After he had graduated he attended the university of Colorado. Before working on the Canadian caper "He supported himself by working as an illustrator and designer until, after answering an advertisement for a graphic artist, he was recruited by the CIA" (Biography.com) Mendez had been working in the CIA for many years as a technical service specialist. His usual tasks were too forge documents and create disguises. He also was involved in "Exfiltration" missions to help individuals escape from dangerous or hostile countries.

Mendez being the smart person he is knew he had to think outside of the box. The escaped members of the embassy were Bob Anders, Cora Lijek, Joe Strafford, Mark Lijek, Lee Schatz and Kathy Strafford. So "Tony Mendez spearheaded an ambitious plan to rescue six Americans left stranded in Iran after the U.S. embassy there was stormed by political dissidents."(Gale) His quick wit led him to solve a serious problem. He created the plan called "The Canadian caper" a mission to rescue the embassy members stuck posing as a fake movie producer. His tenacious plan involved disguising them as part of his film crew. His plan was extremely controversial to the members in the CIA at the time, but they soon realized it was their best bet at getting the stranded embassy members out of Iran. They decided Mendez knew what he was doing, and let him proceed with the operation.

January 28th, 1980 The 6 freed embassy members (http://www.answers.com/topic/iran-hostage-crisis- ())

Mendez developed a plan to disguise the Americans as a Hollywood group scouting locations for a fake science-fiction film called Argo.Tony didn't do anything halfway. "He obtained a script, advertised the film, printed business cards, and rented and staffed a Hollywood office in case anyone in Iran checked up on the story." (The Daily Reporter)The plan was not without it faults, and Mendez knew this, but he continued on. He was later rewarded for his actions. "In 1980, Mr. Mendez was awarded the Intelligence Star for Valor for single-handedly engineering and overseeing the rescue of six US diplomats from Iran during the hostage crisis." (Spy museum) Tony Mendez was a remarkable man who using his ingenious ideas , created a plan that saved 6 American lives. But, As soon as he received the intelligence star, he was asked to return it as the mission needed to remain classified. Then in 1990, under president Clinton's order, the story of this brave act became known nationwide. Going into Iran was not going to be for the faint of heart, and it takes a person a particular amount of courage to do a job like this. He has made an incredible difference in the way the CIA operates."At the 60th Anniversary of CIA's Office of Technical Service, Tony Mendez's parent organization, General David Petraeus, former Director of Central Intelligence called out Tony as one of three OTS officers in sixty years who had made a difference in how the CIA did its work. That, combined with plaudits from four previous Directors of Central Intelligence in reviewing his new book, ARGO, lend credence to his innovative spirit and courage."(Gale). The 6 members of the United States Embassy were freed on January 28th, 1980.

His fearless attitude had not gone unrecognized by the general public. He is honored and recognized now worldwide. He had an immense amount of things to lose going into this operation, but showing courage and being diligent helped things work out in the end . His life is now much simpler."Mendez, who now lives in rural western Maryland has written three books about his CIA years." (The Reliable source, Washington Post.) He has since written 3 books about his accounts in the CIA. Also recently released was a movie called ARGO based off of Mendez's experiences. He currently works at the national spy museum with his second wife Jonna Goeser, who was also a CIA officer at the time.Some might argue his plan was dangerous others might say it was pure brilliance, but regardless he saved 6 innocent lives. Not many people have the guts to even attempt what he did, and that's why he rightfully deserves the title of a hero.