Library

Tris Prior

by Elizabeth from Taipei

Beatrice "Tris" Prior is the main protagonist in the Divergent series. She has a a narrow face, wide, round grayish-blue eyes and straight blonde hair . She was born in the faction Abnegation, but often thought about what she wants, which is not what a Abnegation member would do. She later found out she was Divergent, which meant she was not only Abnegation-she was also Erudite and Dauntless. Tris surprises herself and her parents by picking Dauntless. And that is what Divergent is mostly about - her absorbing life in Dauntless. She decides to use Tris as a nickname for Beatrice when she joins Dauntless. As she continues to describe her life, I find her more and more heroic.

Dauntless is definitely not my type - yes, I love their free spirit and bravery, but I shudder whenever I think of their actions - jumping off trains, jumping off buildings. It may sound thrilling and fun but doing this daily sounds terrifying. Tris is from Abnegation and when she joins Dauntless, she has to face tons of difficulties she never had to face before - but instead of trying to escape or giving up, she simply tries her best to conquer them. In Dauntless initiation, there are three stages: the physical, the emotional, and the mental. Tris was weak before training, but as she goes through initiation, she becomes stronger and stronger. Tris is defeated by lots of other initiates who are much bigger sized than her but she does not stay down.This is why she is my hero - she is strong-willed and believes in her own strength. She yearns to be better and more well built. In the end, she finally does.

Nobody is fearless. There is a quote in Divergent that goes, "Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it." Tris is my hero, but even she is not fearless. I usually face my fears with dread and anxiety but Tris lets me understand that panicking does no use to the situation.