Theodore Roosevelt

by Kellen from Springfield

This is a picture of Teddy while he was in office (wikipedia.org)

Theodore Roosevelt, commonly known as Teddy, was the 26th president of the United States of America, 25th vice president and 33rd governor of New York. He showed great intelligence by taking control over Panama so there could be a canal built there. He gave other countries peace by ending the Russo-Japanese War. Finally, he showed courage by taking the presidency when William McKinley-the president when Teddy was vice president-was killed.

Theodore Roosevelt Jr. was born in New York, New York on October 27, 1858. He died January 6, 1919 in Oyster Bay, New York. He is very well known for his inspiring quotes, such as, “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are,” and, “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” He also inspired people by winning the Nobel Prize for helping Russia and Japan come to peace and end the Russo-Japanese War.

Another major thing Teddy did was urge and help the Panamanians to revolt and become independent from Columbia. He then signed a treaty to build a canal, now known as the Panama Canal, there. France had attempted to build a canal here, but many people were killed, so they couldn’t finish it. This canal more than halved the distance from one side of America to the other, because they didn’t have to go around South America, this made shipping much more efficient. Finally, he was the one who proposed to have Abe Lincoln on the penny, which he still is today.

I think that Roosevelt is a hero to others near and far, because he helped people in Russia and Japan by ending the war between those countries. He helped all people who sailed goods from one end of the USA to the other by building the Panama Canal. Finally, he helped protect our country by fighting in the Mexican-American War.

Theodore Roosevelt is my hero, because he saved many people by ending a war, saved people time by building a canal, and inspired others to do great things by giving motivational quotes. Other people showed how much they liked him by having his head on Mount Rushmore. He is one of the best leaders our country has had in its history.

Bibliography:
www.wikipedia.org
www.theodoreroosevelt.org