Tessa Scott

by Nicole Karavakis from Pickerington

In my opinion, a hero is someone who shows courage when faced with a problem. It's someone who perseveres even at the toughest times, which makes them admirable. Heroes make the best out of every situation.

Having a hero is a very important aspect of life. It's similar to having a goal. Your hero is like your role model. Taking on characteristics of a role model is usually what people aim for to better themselves. People can't get anywhere if they don't set goals, and having a hero is a great place to start.

Tessa creating her bucket list (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/2280650380_bc559498b6.jpg)

Tessa Scott, the main character in Before I Die, portrays heroic characteristics. She knew she could either "stay wrapped in blankets and get on with dying, or get the list back together and get on with living" (Downham 55). When most people would hide under bed sheets and wait for death, Tessa created a bucket list to complete before dying of leukemia. In Downham's writing, Tessa admits that "the list is the only thing keeping [her] going" (81). This isn't an exaggeration considering she made the courageous decision to end chemo therapy and the side effects that come with it. Tessa states, "I was having some pretty heavy therapy and knew if I stopped, I'd be able to do more things" (Downham 190). You know it's of the utmost bravery when a teenager accepts her death and says to her father, "Stop pretending I'm going to be all right" (Downham 193).

My hero is a victim of leukemia (http://rlv.zcache.com/i_wear_leukemia_ribbon_for_my_hero_postcard-p239334552337220990qibm_400.jpg)

At first I thought a hero was someone who risked their life for others. I now see that a hero doesn't always have to be selfless. Tessa Scott was able to show courage through her illness and portrayed a hero through her actions. By creating a bucket list, she influenced her family, friends, and even readers to take life by the reins. Tessa had the audaciousness to look fear in the eyes, and I think we should all follow her example. If this young girl with cancer could be so bold, why can't we?

1Q. Tessa, do you think of yourself as a hero?
1A. I've always thought of heroes as people with super powers who go about in spandex. I'm sure spandex would irritate my fragile skin and I certainly don't have super powers. So the answer is no.

2Q. You have a little brother named Cal. Did you ever want to be his role model?
2A. Cal can have whatever role model he wants. If I am his role model then that's nice. But just because I'm his older sister with leukemia doesn't mean I'm a shoe-in for the position.

3Q. Did it ever occur to you that your bucket list would induce fame upon yourself?
3A. Nope. Fame was a part of my list. I thought I conquered that when I talked on that popular radio show. Also when my boyfriend posted my name around the city. I didn't know fame would come from the list itself.

4Q. Is being famous and being a hero the same to you?
4A. Not at all. Anyone can be famous for the wrong reasons, but people can't be a hero for the wrong reasons.

5Q. Do you have a personal hero? If so, why?
5A. I know family heroes are cheesy, but it would be my dad. He put up with me through the chemo, infusions, and even the list. I don't see that as an easy thing to do. He was always there for me.

6Q. Your dad wasn't always supportive of the list. Does he think of you as a hero?
6A. Does it matter? He loves me either way.

7Q. Do you enjoy being known as a hero?
7A. I'm glad people take my list seriously and all, but again, I don't view myself as a hero for it. I was just doing what i felt was my only option. If people want to live life to the fullest as well, then that's great for them.

8Q. Did anyone inspire you to make the list?
8A. No. If someone did, they'd probably be my other hero. It was just myself realizing there was a ton of stuff I wanted to achieve before time ran out.

9Q. Without the nurses and doctors you wouldn't have made it this long. Don't you think they're heroes?
9A. They didn't cure me. No, they're not heroes- they're helpers.

10Q. You're a role model for many people even though you completed some illegal things on your list. Any thoughts on that?
10A. Cops better be on their toes, obviously.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - This would be a site Tessa's dad would visit to learn about his daughter's disease.
Teens Living with Cancer - Teenagers like Tessa can blog about their fights against cancer here.
American Cancer Society - Mr. Scott wanted Tessa to go to America to see if she could get cured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byVA-YfNxds

Copy and paste the link for a song called Cancer by the band My Chemical Romance. The song reminds me of Tessa, especially at the end of the book.

Before I Die is the sad but empowering story of Tessa Scott and her battle with leukemia. While living in England with her father and younger brother, and occasionally seeing her mother, she has to figure out a way to live without limits. Acquiring the help of her best friend and a neighbor, she makes a list of things to do before she shuts her eyes for good. (SPOILER ALERT): Although she dies in the end, I'd say she won the fight against cancer. Her illness tried to take away her life, but she wouldn't let that happen. Her bucket list allowed her to live years in only a few months' time. Through Tessa, Downham has inspired many readers to live life to the fullest.