Poets

Theodor Seuss Geisel

by Jasmade from Oregon

My sister and I have had many heroes that have influenced our lives. One of them, Dr.Seuss, made his impact very early. We began reading his books when we were very young. He taught us lessons through the characters he created, he taught us to appreciate poetry, and most importantly, he has taught the world that creativity doesn't have to die with old age.

The characters Dr. Seuss has created are not only interesting, but important as well. Children can identify with cartoon characters in movies or illustrations because they keep their interest long enough to teach them something. The difference is the personality he gives each character. They usually talk in humorous rhymes, and children remember things that rhyme.

This rhyming technique introduced to children at a young age, has taught kids to appreciate poetry, because it's introduced in an amusing way. Also, his stories are low vocabulary poems, which appeal to a younger audience. Even children that have only seen his movies will be encouraged to read the books which usually have more silly rhymes in them.

Theodor Seuss Geisel, more famously known as Dr. Seuss, has shown the world that creativity doesn't have to die with age. He first became interested in rhyming through his mother, Henrietta Seuss Geisel, who would often soothe her children to sleep by "chanting" rhymes remembered from her childhood. Theodor says that he credits his mother for both his ability and desire to create rhymes. His first book, "And To Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street", was published in 1937 after having been rejected by twenty-eight publishers, Random House bought the manuscript, beginning a life-long partnership with Theodor. Some other famous books of his have been "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", "The Cat in the Hat", and "Green Eggs and Ham". "His books have been translated into more than fifteen different languages, and over 200 million copies have found their way into the homes and hearts of people around the world." Dr. Seuss continued to write these beloved children's books until September 24, 1991, when he died in La Jolla, California at the age of 87. Though he has passed on, Dr. Seuss will forever be remembered for his never-ending creativity on the much-celebrated Dr. Seuss Day, a day where those who choose to do so may eat green eggs and ham without being questioned about the origin of the "green", and may talk in rhymes if they please. Dr. Seuss Day is held March 2nd of every year, which also marks the day of his birth.

Our hero, Dr. Seuss, has made his impact in the world through his countless children's books which are not only fun to read, but also teach important lessons. These rhyming stories, partnered with Seuss's imaginative sketches, make for one timeless read that entice children to keep reading. This, overall, gives them a new appreciation for poetry. Last, but most certainly not least, Dr. Seuss has shown the world that creativity does not have to die with age - an important concept which we all should stress in our every-day lives.