Theodor Seuss

by Lindsey from DuBois

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Dr. Seuss (illustrationfriday.com)
Dr. Seuss (illustrationfriday.com)

“Too wet to go out, and too cold to play ball. So we sat in the house. We did nothing at all.” (Dr. Seuss The Cat and The Hat). Dr. Seuss never let a little rain ruin his quirky spirit. I did research on Dr. Seuss in “Biography Today.” I chose Dr. Seuss because he was the fun loving man, who cared too much to let the children around the world learn to read with Dick and Jane.

Dr. Seuss Stamp (teach.fcps.net)
Dr. Seuss Stamp (teach.fcps.net)

Who would have thought that such a small little boy could make such a difference? On March 2, 1904 in Springfield, Massachusetts, a baby boy was born. His name was Theodor Seuss Geisel. He was born to Theodor Robert and Henrietta Seuss Geisel. While growing up he loved to draw, but his elementary art teacher discouraged him.

Dr. Seuss always had good grades. He always paid attention in school and enjoyed learning. Dr. Seuss attended several public schools. He went to Dartmouth College in New Hampshire. He continued at Lincoln Collage, and Oxford University in England. Dr. Seuss was great in school, which lead him into the career that changed his life.

Dr. Seuss was an extremely talented writer and illustrator. He was great at rhyming and creating fictional characters and giving them a name and a look. He was highly influenced by his father, Theodor. He encouraged him to do well in school and to never let anyone talk him out of writing and illustrating. The first book Dr. Seuss wrote was And To Think I saw It On Mulberry Street it was rejected by publishers twenty-nine times. Dr. Seuss wrote and illustrated forty-seven books and won various awards for these phenomenal books. He won an Academy Award, Caldecott Award, Peabody Award, Emmy Award, and Pulitzer Award. Dr. Seuss’s career was a great experience for him.

On September 24, 1991 at 87 years old, Dr. Seuss passed away. The world will always remember him as an amazing writer and illustrator and as a man who loved fun.