Theodor Seuss

by Braxton from Las Vegas

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

Theodor Seuss Geisel was born on March 2, 1904 in Springfield, Massachusetts. He was named after his father and mother. He strongly opposed racism and fascism. He attended Dartmouth University and was a member of the Dartmouth newspaper club. After he attended Dartmouth, he went to Lincoln University of Literature. There he met his wife, Helen Palmer. He started writing humorous articles and sending them to Judge, The Saturday Evening Post, Life, Vanity Fair, and Liberty. He had many pen names he was often called Dr. Seuss. He also called himself LeSeig, which is backwards for Geisel.

Dr. Seuss wrote over 60 books which had many rhymes and imaginative characters, but he still never got the Newberry or Caldecott Awards. His books have been very popular. He is obviously one of the most popular writers in history. Some of his book ideas came from the Cold War and World War II. That's where he started. He wrote about racism and fascism, and the wars inspired him to write. During the Great Depression he began writing advertisements to General Electric, NBC, Standard Oil, and many other companies. In 1937, while Geisel was coming home from a Europe voyage he listened to the rhythm of the ship's engines, which inspired the poem that became his first book, "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street."

Dr. Seuss was later diagnosed with cancer. Although he had cancer he continued to write. His final book was "Oh, The Places You'll Go." In 1991, he finally passed away. Two of his 50 books ended up being movies. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" was his first book to be created into a movie, and later "Horton Hears a Who" was also created. Dr. Seuss was an amazing author and will always be remembered for his books and his involvement with World War II and the Cold War.