Theodor Seuss Geisel

by Noel from Centereach

Theodore Geisel, from Library of Congress <br> (http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3c24309)
Theodore Geisel, from Library of Congress
(http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3c24309)

My definition of a hero is someone who is regarded for the inspirational or courageous things he or she has done. Theodor Seuss Geisel, otherwise known as Dr. Seuss, can be acknowledged as a hero. He is a great inspiration for many children. With his series of books, Dr. Seuss has brought many laughs and smiles to many young children using rhymes, pictures, and funny stories. Dr Seuss's many short stories may help many children see the world in a whimsical light. Dr. Seuss truly is a great inspiration for children.

Dr. Seuss was born in Springfield, Massachusetts on March 2, 1904. He died at the age of 87 in 1991. From 1921 to 1925, Dr. Seuss attended Dartmouth College and earned his bachelor's degree. While in college, he became recognized throughout the campus as he became a staple of Dartmouth's humor magazine, the "Jack-'O-Lantern," along with other extracurricular activities; however, he and other friends were caught drinking alcohol. Dr. Seuss and his friends were turned in to the dean and Seuss was no longer allowed to write for the "Jack-'O-Lantern." However, Dr. Seuss was determined to continue writing for the magazine so he began using an alias. For the first time in his life, Theodor Seuss Geisel began signing his cartoons "Seuss." Thus, the man, Seuss is born!

Dr. Seuss later attended Oxford University in England to earn his PhD in English literature. At Oxford, Seuss met his future wife, Helen Palmer, who, upon seeing Seuss's drawings, gave him advice, telling him that he was wasting his time at Oxford and should make a living off of his drawings instead. Eventually, Seuss took Helen's advice. Seuss spent a lot of time drawing and painting in Europe and returned to America in February, 1927, following Helen Palmer. Seuss began a job as a staff cartoonist for the newspaper "Judge" and decided to marry Helen Palmer. He originally signed these cartoons, Dr. Theophrastus Seuss, but dropped the "Theophrastus" and began signing as Dr. Seuss.

Dr. Seuss published his first book, "And to Think I Saw it on Mulberry Street," in 1937 and became a huge success. Sometime after World War 2, Dr. Seuss began writing more books. Dr. Seuss earned great respect and praise from the people of Springfield as he published "If I Ran the Zoo." The book clearly encourages young readers to shed the boundaries of the world around them and see where it takes them. In 1957, Seuss's most famous and lasting success was created. This book was "The Cat in the Hat" which sold more than 1 million copies in 2 years! "The Cat in the Hat" is his most famous book but his best seller is "Green Eggs and Ham," which sold more than 6 million copies to date. In 1957, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!" was also published and became an instant classic. After his death, Seuss has published more than 60 books and each was and still are a great inspiration to children everywhere.

Dr. Seuss has been greatly praised even after his death. Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida has built a themed island based on Seuss and his creations. "The Cat in the Hat" was also made into a ride in Universal Studios Florida. Some of his best books were even remade into big budget films. After the release of the movie, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!," a full-scale Broadway musical opened in New York titled, "The Seussical." "The Seussical" was a montage of Dr. Seuss's books and characters. Another big-budget film was based on Seuss's most famous book, "The Cat in the Hat." The third and last film that was based on one of Seuss's books was "Horton Hears a Who." This computer generated film opened in March, 2008. Though Seuss may have died, his books and characters will carry on for generations to come.

Dr. Seuss certainly is a great hero. He is a great inspiration for many children. He has written more than 60 books. Each helps children see the world in a whimsical light. Each story uses many hilarious rhymes and pictures that match up perfectly. Some of his books were even remade into big-budget films by Universal Studios. His many books have brought smiles and laughter to the homes of many children. Dr. Seuss is truly a great hero and inspiration.