Tenn Sing-Kong

by Allen from Taichung

He came from Fujian. His father Zhen Zhilong was a Chinese merchant and a pirate. His mother Tagawa Matsu was a Japanese. This is why Japanese still respect him nowadays.When Zhen Sing-Kong was seven, he started to study Confucianism after he came back to China from Japan.

Then, let's start to talk about his achievements. After Ming Dynasty was defeated, Zhen Sing-Kong retreated to Taiwan in 1661, and defeated the Dutch in the next year. Zhen Sing-Kong created the first Han political power in Taiwan.

He had done a lot of things for Taiwan. First, he exploit southern Taiwan by his army. He turned his army into farmers when there was no war. He also developed the agriculture and increased the production of crops. Because of this, the residents in Taiwan were not poor of food anymore. In education, he Introduced Confucianism and the imperial examination to Taiwan. In order to educate the children in Taiwan, he established Ming Luntang. It was a school which taught students for imperial examination. He built up the first temple of Confucius in Tainan. In economy, he traded with the UK to get weapons and developed international commerce actively. He also established Trade Organization of the Zhen Family.

To draw a conclusion, he dedicated himself to constructing this place and he introduced advanced education to Taiwan. Unfortunately, he passed away in 1662. Although it's not a long time, his contribution to Taiwan influenced us a lot. This is why I choose Zhen Sing-Kong as my hero.

Allen from Taichung