Ty Warner

by Laniya from Ansonia

My Science Hero
Do you remember when you were little and you played with Beanie Babies? Do you have a science hero? I do. His name is Ty Warner. He invented Beanie Babies. I used to play with them, now I collect them. I will tell you about his biography info, his achievement/accomplishment, and the difference in our life. Hope you enjoy my short story.

Ty Warner was born on September 3, 1944 somewhere on the outskirts of Chicago, Illinois. He was never married. His father’s name was Harold; he was a jeweler and toy salesman. TY Warner’s mother's name was Georgia, she was a pianist. TY also has one younger sister named Joy. In 1948 TY and his family moved into the suburbs to a place called La Grange. La Grange was a small Victorian village about ½ hour west of Chicago. TY heads to Sorrento, Italy after leaving Dakin. Italy would be the inspiration TY needed to start TY, Inc. In Italy he discovered a nice range of soft, cute, and cuddly cats. In 1943, TY returned home to the U.S. where he placed a mortgage on a small flat he owned in Hinsdale, and used the $50,000 he inherited from the passing of his father in 1983, and used all of the savings he had from working at Dakin, where he made $100,000+ a year, to create TY, Inc. was incorporated in 1986.

Ty’s accomplish/achievement is that he made his own company. He is still alive today selling the Beanie Babies. The Beanie Babies have grown very popular over the years. Now, lots of people have Beanie Babies. He made a ton of Beanie Babies and sold them all over the Country. He also goes to stores and advertises the Beanie Babies in person. If sometimes people see the inventor and his invention in person more people would like to buy it. But, he did not make them all by himself. He hired two employees to work in the company with him. He also, went to Korea to find someone to make his cats! The line to be produced was a plush set of Himalayan Cats similar to those he saw in Italy. There were ten cats total; they each had names like Angel, Peaches, George, and Smoky. He started to sell them in the early 1993. That makes at least the Beanie Babies 17 years old.

Now, I will tell you how our lives are different. We don’t have a company that we could make the Beanie Babies or anything else. I am sure that he has lots of money and we don’t have all that money he does. We don’t do the same things as him. He has a busy schedule. I am sure a lot of us has busy schedule, but not as busy as his. Ty Warner and us have totally different lives. We buy the Beanie Babies and he makes the Beanie Babies. A lot of us wish we had a life somewhat like his. We all what to be famous and we could if we try our best. Everywhere things are inspiring people to make something similar to what they saw.