Tou Ger Xiong

by Chai from Fresno

How Tou Ger Xiong influences me.

Tou Ger taught me in many ways. He taught me that you're not the only one who is going through things in life. There are many others who are worse off than you and they are doing good in life. He taught me that the place you call a ghetto is also where you once called it home and maybe it still is. He also taught me that no matter who you are you'll always fit in with others. It was nice knowing that someone like him can influence me because of his story telling, comedian, and rapping show he did. I was one of his MC's for his show in 2007 in Madison East High School in Madison, Wis. I also got to eat with him after the show. He is the reason why I want to keep working on my major and not quit on it because he was the first Hmong comedian, story teller, and rapper all in one show. I want to be one of the few Hmong boys who wants to do something different beside the same as every other Hmong boy out there, so that's why I want to become a fashion designer which I haven't see any of our Hmong boys into. I want to be one of those who makes other people see that we are not the same, just like Tou Ger Xiong, the first Hmong comedian.

(www.loe.org/images/081219/TOU%20GER%20XIONG%20BIOGRAPHY%20Feb%202008.doc.)