Library

Tessa

by Rachel from Pickerington

My Definition of a Hero: Someone who is strong, not necessarily physically, who's been through a lot and is now wise from past decisions.

Importance Of having a Hero :It is very important to have a hero in your life. A hero is someone you look up to, and strive to be like. When you have a hero it gives you something to measure yourself up against.

Tessa's like a puppy, adventurous.
Tessa's like a puppy, adventurous.

Hero Choice: Tessa in Before I Die, a novel by Jenny Downham, shows many qualities of a hero. She makes some really bad decisions throughout the book but she stays strong through everything. Sometimes it is the littlest things that keep her going, like she says on page 81 in the book, "This list is the only thing keeping me going." Which is her bucket list before she dies. She lets people in and out of her life, but doesn't let them affect her on a drastic level. Although at one point in the book she says, "I made the fatal error thinking her could save me", on page 118. She is battling cancer and is going through chemo day after day. After a while the doctors can do no more for her, they decide to take her off of chemo and let her die slowly. "Death surrounds me everywhere, and it tastes like metal between your teeth." Is one of the things she quoted while at the hospital, on page 182. She faces death around every corner, but continues to have the best attitude she can have. That in my eyes shows to be a heroic thing.

Tessa is like metal, she's strong, mentally.

Hall Of Fame: Tessa deserves to be in the hall of fame of heroes with no doubt in mind! Tessa goes through so much within 1 month that shows that she has potential to be in the Hero's hall of fame! From the start of this book I could tell that Tessa was going to be a strong faithful girl. She deserves to be in the Hero Hall of Fame because she has been through so much, Battling cancer, parents divorce, best friend being pregnant, and much more and yet she still is strong through it all. That to me shows that she is deserving of being in the hero hall of fame.

Who's Your Hero's Hero?:

1.) Q: Do you think you could ever be anyone's hero? A: "No, not with all the decisions I have made, why would anyone want to look up to me?"

2.) Q: What was your favorite food while going through chemo? A: "I would have to say a strawberry mivvi."

3.) Q: Who is your hero(s)? A: I have many heroes, My dad would be the one that comes to mind first. He is so strong through everything when i am really sick and when i am well."

4.) Q: How does it make you feel that your mom was never there for you? A: "It was very frustrating at times, I would get very angry and not want anything to do with her. Then at times i just wanted a mom to hold me and tell me everything was going to be alright."

5.) Q: How would you feel if your brother, Cal, told you that you were his hero? A: "I would feel very honored. And I would probably give him a big hug and tell him I love him a lot."

6.) Q: Can you remember a time where you felt like you had no hope for living? A: "Yes, when I was 11 I got an infection while going through chemo, and I had no hope whatsoever. I thought to myself, I'm just going to die, that's it, it's over."

7.) Q: Who was your Hollywood pop star hero growing up? A: "With no doubt, Dido"

8.) Q: What do you think about life after death? A: "I am not religious, but I do believe there is something out there, maybe, we'll have to see."

9.) Q: What was the worst part of Chemotherapy? A: " Probably the nausea, I was constantly vomiting."

10.) Q: Can anyone be hero to anyone? A: "I guess you have to be kind of important or do something drastic to be a hero. Or be family to someone. I don't know really."

Oncology Articles - My hero has cancer, and this website teaches you everything you need to know about cancer.

Tessa strives to live her life out to the fullest before she dies. She learns that you don't need everything in life to succeed.