Alan Tewksbury

by Preston from Coumbia

My hero is my grandfather. I call him Pop. I love to hang out with Pop at the golf course and around his yard. Pop taught me everything I know about golf. He made me some small clubs to use when I was 5 years old, and took me out on the course at least once a week. I love him very much. He is my hero.

My grandfather is eighty-three years old. I don’t get to spend as much time with him now as I used to because we moved from Aiken 8 years ago. Pop has lived in Aiken since he was about 12 years old. He loves to play golf. When he’s not playing golf with his friends in Aiken he is at his mountain house in North Carolina. He is in very good health and is very physically active. He just recently joined a health program!

Pop grew up during the depression. He was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania but soon moved to Columbia, South Carolina. After living in Columbia for 5 years my grandfather’s family moved to Aiken. His father became very ill and life for Pop wasn’t easy. After graduating from high school Pop work some and then joined the Marines.

Pop served during World War II. He was a member of the 1st Marine Division. He fought in three campaigns in the Pacific. He was a private, Corporal and Sergeant. While serving in the war Pop was diagnosed with malaria. After 32 months he came home and entered Clemson College under the GI Bill.

Pop is very important to me because he always wants to spend time with me. He still asks me to come play golf or help in the yard. He gives me a lot of responsibility. He has many friends and is well respected in the Aiken community. He is very honest and caring. He always gives me encouragement. Pop is funny too. He always tells me funny stories while we’re out playing golf or messing around in the yard. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of spending time with my Grandfather.