Thomas Edison

by Brandon from Ottawa

I have made inventions, but not medicine. Who am I? I am the great Thomas Edison. On February 11, 1847, an inventor was born, and that was me: Thomas Edison.

<a href=http://www.mall-usa.com/uspat/edison/16a-edison.jpg> Edison using the telegraph key</a href>
Edison using the telegraph key

I have made over 1,093 inventions, and I saved a kid who almost got run over by a train. I am one of the world’s most famous inventors. During World War I, I worked sending messages by telegraph, and I invented devices to find submarines that were underwater. I also made a periscope for submarines.

I was born in Milan, Ohio, on February 11th, 1887. My first invention was the vote recorder, which I made when I was 15 years old. In the year 1862, when I was 17 years old, I entered my first science contest, for which I made the phonograph. I won. When I was 19 years old, I saved a kid’s life by pushing him on the other side of the train track because he was about to be run over by the train. I died on October 18th, 1931, of old age. I consider myself to be very intelligent, because I made over 1,093 inventions during my life. Some also consider me to be a hero, because I saved a child's life.

This web page was created as part of a class project. Students created web pages about their heroes, writing in the first person voice of the hero.