Johan Ronald Reul Tolkien

by Katja from Ljutomer, Slovenia

J.R.R Tolkien (www.srednjisvet.com)
J.R.R Tolkien (www.srednjisvet.com)

J. R. R. Tolkien is one of the best writers in history. His greatest work, Lord of the Ring, has made him famous. He was born on 3 January, 1892 in the town of Bloemfontein in South Africa. When he was three years old his mother took him and his younger brother and return back in England. It was his mother`s wish that he started to learn Latin and Greece very young. When he was 9 years old he had a terrible experience. His mother died so he was sent to an orphanage. On his own request he started to learn Welsh and old Welsh, Anglo-Saxon, Gaelic and Spanish. He met his one and only true love Edith Mary Bratt when he was 15 years old and then later he married her.

<a href=http://www.booksamillion.com/bam/covers/0/34/544/560/0345445600.jpg>The Hobbit</a>
The Hobbit

He studied classics at Oxford University when he was introduced to German and old German language and with Icelandic and Finnish from which he later formed his Elvish language. He was a lieutenant in the Royal Forces in the First World War. In 1916 he fell sick with a fever and was sent home and he never went back to the battlefield. He used the time while he was recovering and started to write the History of Middle Earth 1 and 2. He had 4 children. His third son Christopher finished Silmarillion and the History of Middle Earth after his father`s death. J.R.R. Tolkien published The Hobbit while he was still alive in 1928 and Lord of the Rings in 1954 and 1955. He died in Oxford in 1973.

I admire him because in my opinion he was, he is and he will always be the best writer in the whole wide world, because of his character, his invented creatures and the languages that he created all by himself.

Tolkien society - Just look