Mark Twain

by Anthony from San Diego

In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination.

Samuel Langhorne Clemens is better known as Mark Twain. He was born in Florida Missouri in 1835. Mark Twain had red hair, small bones, delicate hands and feet, and according to the book, he wore large second hand clothing, which covered him up like a circus tent. His friends described his personality as sweet, gentle, outgoing, cooperative and of a humorous nature. He moved during his childhood to Hannibal Missouri, which resided on the banks of the Mississippi river.

Samuel Clemens was born to John Marshall and Jane Lampton Clemens in a two-room house in Florida Missouri. He was one of five children and because he was born prematurely, his early years consisted of him taking he had to take many medicines for the many illnesses he caught. One of his brothers died as well as his nine year old sister Margaret of a sudden fever in 1839. His family struggled with poverty and grief for many years.

Twain had many achievements including writing six biography volumes and over 40 letters. Under the pen name Mark Twain; he published over 30 works of literature encompassing satire, historical fiction, and non-fiction. Many of his writings have reached the pinnacles of American and world literature, including the timeless Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Adventure of Tom Sawyer, and The Prince And the Pauper.

The distinguished novelist, short story writer, essayist, journalist, and literary critic ranks among the great figures of American literature. The 75-year old Twain wrote five amazing travelogues, detailing his experiences in the western U.S. along the Mississippi, in Europe, the Mideast, and Asia. He was a vigorous writer who overcame bankruptcy and personal tragedies and became America’s first modern celebrity. The hobbies that he had were being a great writer and loving and caring for his three children.

In conclusion, Samuel Langhorne Clemens was a hero in his own right. Even though he had challenging childhood, Samuel Clemens became a loving family man and very gifted writer.

Mark Twain - Biography from Mark Twain House
Mark Twain - Defender of Jews
Mark Twain meets Sholom Aleichem - The American Sholom Aleichem meets the Jewish Mark Twain