Uncle Jim

by Emory from Alpharetta, Georgia

Uncle Jim (I created it)
Uncle Jim (I created it)

My Uncle Jim used to be a firefighter. Firefighters are my hero. They are wonderful people who save people from fires. They have to sleep in the fire department and pretty much live there until a fire comes. When a fire does occur, they hop onto their fire truck and go to save the people.

They also aren't all completely serious people. Once they save the people and they are ok, they can joke around and high-five.

Firefighters are amazing people.

When people are in need of an ambulance, the firefighters also come along with the ambulance because the fire truck has very important vaccines and medicines. They are very important in this world.

When you happen to visit a firefighter station, be sure not to mess with the medicines in the back of the firetruck. They are crucial vaccines and medicines that help people when they are in an emergency.

If we didn't have firefighters in our world, people wouldn't be very protected from fires. Firefighters highly suggest that you have a working fire alarm in your house and change the batteries at least every 2 months.

They also suggest that your family practices a family fire drill once a month or even twice a month. This is so that your family knows where to go and what to do if a fire does happen to occur at your house. The firefighters will be able to know that you're safe and that they will be able to put out the fire in your house.

Also, make sure that you don't leave stove food unattended. Fires might occur this way. That has happened to me. What you do is throw corn meal on it. Never throw sugar or blow onto it because that will only make the flame bigger. Corn meal will flatten and stop the fire.

My Uncle Jim used to be a firefighter. Now, since he is older, he has retired. He did go places to put out fires. Now, he lives in Lexington, Kentucky. He is going to have surgery on his arm soon. I interviewed him, and here is what he says about firefighters and heroes:

First, firefighters are true heroes. They aren't selfish and they risk their lives to save other people. That is why they are my and many other people's, hero. They will risk their lives just to save a total stranger's.

Here is an interview from my uncle Jim:

Q: What did you like best about being a firefighter A: I liked being able to help people, I helped people that were in need, because, Emory, we do more than just stop fires. You have to save people from inside the buildings. Basically, I really just enjoyed helping people in need.

Q: What was the worst part? A: When you fought a fire, it was horrible when people lost all their belongings. The worst is when people lose a family member. It's really sad.

Q: How long were you a firefighter? A: 14 and a half years.

Q: Were you ever injured? A: Yes, I was injured 3 times. First, I hurt both of my knees and they both had to be operated on. Secondly, I hurt my shoulder one time at a fire. Lastly, another time I fought a fire and I ruptured 2 disks in my back and that's when they made me retire.

Q:If you had a relative that was a firefighter too, were they to allowed to work together in fires and be at the same station? A: Yes, my brother, Uncle George who has past away recently, sometimes rode the same engine and worked at the same station at the same time and day together.

Q: Did you ever work with an ambulance? A: Yes, I rode the EC units for emergency care. I rode it for 2 years.I saw some very scary things, but I also experienced some very happy things too. For example, I helped to deliver babies! I often carried people, and sometimes animals, to safety that were hurt or not able to help themselves. It was part of my job to be there for them and reassure them when they were frightened and alone. We would help to get them stable and rush them to a hospital emergency room.

Firefighters grow to be very close at stations. They eat, sleep, and live together for days at a time. They take turns in different duties, from driving the truck to an alarm call, to cooking a meal for the firehouse. They have to watch out for each other at all times. They become like family.

When not fighting fires, firefighters also do chores, give tours for schools, and make sure their equipment is ready. They also play sports and hang out together while waiting to be called. Uncle Jim always worked at a station in the middle of the city. He stayed very busy with emergency calls for this reason. Many small towns rely on volunteer fire departments to help the fulltime firefighters.

Uncle Jim’s brother, Uncle George, would drive a fire truck at the same time Uncle Jim would be driving a fire truck sometimes. They would race to see who got to the call first!

My Uncle found firefighting to be a very rewarding job. He enjoyed helping others through his job.

Firefighters are very important in this world!