Uncle Jim

by Melissa from Roseville

My Hero.

What defines a hero? In my opinion, a hero is someone who puts others first, is a lifesaver, and is an inspiration. Someone who is brave, caring, and endangers their own life for the good of mankind. As children we are taught that heroes are supernatural and beyond this world, such as Superman, but in reality there are heroes all around us. We overlook the most super people-Super Heroes are people who do good asking nothing in return, risk their life, make a difference in the world, people we couldn’t live well without. Though there are tons of Heroes in my life, the one that truly inspires me is my very own uncle. Uncle Jim, a firefighter.

Firefighters are some of the most honorable men I’ve ever known. They are willing to put their life on the line to save a stranger, they spend a lot of time away from their families for their important job, they look death right in the eye. They are some of the bravest men on earth. Without firefighters fire would go untamed and cause a lot of destruction. Firefighting is an extremely important job and we truly do need firefighters. Firefighters are there to rescue us from the most terrifying of times, such as 9/11, The Great Chicago Fire, San Francisco Fire, Triangle Factory Fire, Peshtigo Fire, and common fires.

Personally, my uncle Jim gives a lot towards firefighting. He works basically every other day plus nights - about 60 hours a week, including weekends and holidays. Wearing a lot of uncomfortable, heavy gear he runs right into harm's way to save a life. Additionally worrying his family and friends knowing this is a dangerous job. Uncle Jim is captain of his group at his local fire station in Morgan Hill, he has been working as a firefighter for over 20 years. He wanted to be a firefighter because he believes it’s an important job that saves lives in which he wanted to be a part of. He loves knowing he’s doing a job that is making a difference and very important. The worst part of his job is worrying his family and running into harm's way. Uncle Jim has been injured during firefighting, receiving a 3rd degree burn, yet he continues working. Though he was gone a lot as his five children grew up, all of his children agree that he was and still is an amazing father. Uncle Jim works very hard at his job and is inspirational. One of his children, Ashley, says, “I’m very proud of my father and what he does for a career.” I fully agree, Uncle Jim is incredibly brave. He is a perfect example of a hero.

No doubt, Uncle Jim is a hero. He fits the definition perfectly. He puts others first, risks his own life for the good of others, brave, and inspiring. Firefighting is one of the most selfless jobs, and the fact that someone chooses a job based on its goodwill is outstanding. "When a man becomes a fireman, his greatest act of bravery has been accomplished” Is exactly how I feel about Uncle Jim. Uncle Jim taught me how to put others first and overall a better person. He is so kind hearted, brave, selfless, and heroic- I’m proud to call him my uncle.

I am a Junior High student in Roseville, California. As I grew up I learned that the most super of all Superheroes are, in my opinion, firefighters. It is one of the most selfless, caring, and bravest job out there. Firefighters put others first, is a lifesaver, and are inspirational. They endanger their own life for the sack of mankind and we couldn’t live well without them. Firefighters are truly the “super heroes”.

Wikipedia - About firefighters.
eHow - Firefighters.
Firefighter-job - Job infomation about Firefighting.