Vinton Gray Cerf

by Arianna from San Diego

The internet, something that is used constantly yet, is commonly taken for granted. Most never stop and wonder why they are privileged with it or how it came to be. The answer to the unasked question is Vinton Gray Cerf. He was born on the 23rd of June in 1943. Cerf had two younger brothers and lived in a strict, patriotic household where he could not be creative. He found a love of rockets at a young age due to his father being employed in the Navy. As he got older it became apparent that he had a hearing disability, but continued to excel in school nonetheless. Along with his partner Robert E. Kahn, he created the essential protocols of the internet in a hotel. He taught at Harvard, became the vice president at Google and helped create the Transmission Control Protocol and Internet Protocol. As he grew older and grayer his accomplishments only increased. He won award after award but he did not stop there. He continued and still continues today to do great things and wow the world around him. Vinton Gray Cerf is the "Father of the Internet" and a pioneer in the engineering field, however this alone does not warrant him to be a hero; his heroism is defined by overcoming his challenging hardships, putting his intelligent mind to good use and his surprising humility.

Cerf conquered arduous hardships that were beyond his ability to change, persevered through intense tribulations and ultimately ushered in a new age of technology. He had to deal with many problems that were beyond his power to fix, "Cerf was born premature, and some suggested he might be mentally slow because he did not seem to be developing normally" (Newsmakers). In the face of hardships, most people break down, or forget who they are. Although Cerf was born into a world of challenges he pushed through and did not let these challenges define him. He decided that he could shape his own life and he didn't have to let a simple disability control him. Cerf wasn't contained by his defective hearing, he went on to do great things such as being the, "U.S. inventor of part of the TCP/IP protocols on which the Internet is based. Known throughout the industry as the 'Father of the Internet,' Cerf was president of the Internet Society from 1992 to 1995 and was a principal developer of the ARPANET. . . .He was awarded the U.S. National Medal of Technology in 1997" (Hutchinson's Biography Database). Cerf persisted through his disabilities and still made a difference in the world. Furthermore, his hearing disability influenced him to create the internet, because even the deaf can use and navigate the internet. Vinton Cerf revolutionized the world despite his disability and the obstacles that were thrown onto his path.

Cerf used his above average intellectual intelligence well, soaring to new heights and enhanced the world for generations to come. "When he was 17 months old, his mother took him to a clinic at Yale University for testing and found he was slightly above average in intelligence" (Newsmakers). Not all humans are born with a boost in the intellect, but all humans are born with a brain. They can all choose what they do with that brain, whether it be for crime, self-enjoyment, or for bettering the society. Vinton Gray Cerf did great things with the mind that was bestowed upon him: "After receiving his doctorate in computer science in the spring of 1977, Cerf stayed at UCLA and helped give the first demonstration of the ARPAnet later that year . . . He then joined the teaching staff at Stanford University in the department of electrical engineering" (Newsmakers). He is very smart. In fact he had above average intelligence ever since he was a child, but it only matters what one does with their intelligence. He took his intellect to new heights, changing the world forever, and left his mark on the world. Intelligence isn't measured by how much of it you may have, but it's measured by what you do with it. Vinton Gray Cerf used it to improve the world forever and make life for the average middle class person much more convenient.

The most important virtue for a hero is humility and he is extremely humble about what he has done. "Though he feels uneasy with being called the 'Father of the Internet,' Vint Cerf is undoubtedly one of the key players, if not the central figure" (Newsmakers). Even though he accomplished something worth bragging about and taking credit for, he insists that he didn't play a major role. Humility isn't something in great abundance, the fact that he acts humble portrays his heroism. Cerf's work and, "For his efforts in the computer field, Cerf has won a bevy of awards" (Newsmakers). Cerf has achieved a lot, yet he chooses to remain humble about it and downplay his strengths and achievements. He insists it was a team effort and that he barely did anything when in reality he created the essentials of the internet. If anything he is one of or the main creator. Achievements do not make a hero, it's how they react to those achievements that makes them heroic, Vinton Gray Cerf chose to remain humble about his accomplishments and deny the right to be called anything better than a normal person would.

A hero must overcome the hardships presented to him, have a clever mind and use it well, and have humility. Vinton Gray Cerf bested his disabilities and pushed through to be great things. He used his mental capabilities to further the progression of humankind. Cerf then retained humility about his achievements and accomplishments. This hero is an inspiration to me as I aspire to be in the engineering field. I indulge in the knowledge that I can turn any problems I face, into something that works in my favor. He gives me the freedom to use my creativity and maybe become the next Vinton Gray Cerf of my era. To me, it means that I can do anything I want, even the most absurd ideas could come to fruition. I do not have to downplay an idea because it seems impossible, because as Vinton Gray Cerf proved to me, even the impossible is possible.

Murphy, B. Keith, and Murphy B. Keith. "Vinton Gray Cerf." Great Lives From History: Inventors & Inventions (2008): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 23 Mar. 2014.

"Vinton Cerf." Hutchinson's Biography Database (2011): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 23 Mar. 2014

"Vinton G. Cerf." Newsmakers. Detroit: Gale, 1999. Biography in Context. Web. 23 Mar. 2014.

Internet Hall of Fame - Interview with Vinton Gray Cerf
Britannica - Nice little biography on Vinton Gray Cerf
Office of the Director - Government biography on Vinton Gray Cerf