Vasyl Chornobaba

by Kate from Kremenchuk, Ukraine

from the school museum
from the school museum

My hero is Vasyl Chornobaba. Vasyl Chornobaba is my hero because he was a member of secret antifascists organization named after Dniprov. He is my compatriot and he lived in my native town. What a pity his name is not famous but I am proud I studied at school where students remember and where a museum contains some information about the hero. As for me I was rather impressed by his heroism. I'd like you to know about him too.

During the war (World War II) he cooperated with fascists to help our soldiers and people. Nobody was sent to Germany from Krukiv district of our town. Chornobaba saved lives of war prisoners. When Kremenchuk was emancipated from fascists in 1943, Vasyl became a collective farmer. During that period he helped poor widows and orphans.

But in 1948 he was claimed as an enemy of the Soviet Union (document â„–33804), although people believed in the innocence of Vasyl (doc.21/191).

In 1999 Supreme Rada of Ukraine confirmed a verdict 21/191 from 18.11.1999 of Kremenchuk Town Council to rename Biletskivska Street to Vasyl Chornobaba Street.

As for me, I'm sure we need to remember such kind of people to prevent wars because they are brave, wise and devoted to their people.

My Hero Project MHH1 - HEROES ARE AMONG US! LET’S FIND THEM!

I'm rather interested in the history of my native land and town