Victor Murray

by Jon from Waverly

My family on Easter three years ago
My family on Easter three years ago

Hello my name is Jon Murray and my hero is my Father. He works in hospitals and stops other peoples hearts, so he can program the pacemaker and then starts their heart again. He is a funny fellow who makes jokes and lightens the mood. He answered these questions to help me understand what he does more.

I asked if my dad’s job was scary and he said it was not. He works in a controlled environment with a lot of doctors around. I asked if he has ever saved a life, and he said he has not but he helps people live longer when he puts in the pacemaker. So I think he is one of the luckiest workers ever.

What kind of people do you work with I said next. And he said he mostly works with older people but on rare occasions he works with young people. He also works with doctors and nurses everyday. I asked him why he chose this job and he said he loves helping people and the money was good so he jumped right on it.

What happens when you get called in to work? He said he puts in a programmer, pacemaker and his computer then he drives out to the hospital. I asked if it was hard to get out to the hospitals on short notice. He said it's only driving and it just takes a long time because sometimes he has to go out to Grand Island and Kearney. He said his average day is waking up early, packing his car, driving to the hospital, then working, then coming home. He said it's a long and hard day.

What is the most difficult part of your job? He said getting the pacemaker to the correct settings and teaching the patient how to keep their heart healthy. I asked if he does anything extra to help people and he said he donates money and that's about all. He is my dad and I am proud of him and hope to be like him some day.