Vahe

by Michelle from Buenos Aires

I am going to write about a hero, not a hero like Superman but a hero that didn’t loose hope easily, an everyday hero. This hero is just a person like you and me. He didn’t have special powers but he made his own powers by using his good qualities very well. This made him a real hero. I’m going to tell you what these qualities are and how he showed them.

This so special and honorable person was called Vahe and he was my grandfather. My grandfather lived in Armenia, but when he was a child Armenia was suffering a lot because during the First World War the Turkish people were trying to dominate Armenia so they started killing Armenian people and took them away from their home. My grandfather and his family went to live to Italy escaping from the Turks. Vahe studied in Italy and he finished university in Paris.

By that time, Armenia became a communist country conquered by the Russians and had lost its independence. When my grandfather finished his studies he came to live in Argentina, escaping from the Second World War. In Argentina he met my grandmother and had three children, Diana who is my mother, Krikor and Sonia.

While he was in Argentina, he donated a lot of his money to help his natal country, Armenia. He rebuilt Armenian churches in Armenia. He also built schools where Armenian people could learn how to speak Armenian, a very difficult language, and about Armenian religion; a place where they could learn many things about Armenia, the country he loved so much. He did this in Armenia and Argentina. He named one of the secondary schools he founded Kevork Tchinnosian, because of his father, and he named another secondary school he founded, Doris Tchinnosian, because of my grandmother. He didn’t want the things he made to have his name, therefore we can say that he was modest. In Venice there is a museum in his honor and in honor of his whole country called Vahe.

My grandfather is very important to me because I admire him for all the things he did and the hope he had for his country to be independent again. He kept trying without giving up. He died before I was born, around 1990. I would have liked to know him because he was a person I really admire and I would like to help and become as great as he was, some day.

At school I read the book “Number the Stars” written by Lois Lowry. When I was writing this essay I realized that my grandfather is a hero to others near and far like Peter Neilsen, in the book “Number the Stars.” Peter was a hero to others near and far because he didn’t give up until the Jewish people were free from the Nazis. My grandfather was also that type of hero because he helped Armenia to be independent again and never gave up.

This was the story about someone that remained loyal to his country until the very end, a helpful person who didn’t lose hope easily and never gave up. Someone called Vahe, who should be considered an example for everyone. Someone that showed that everything is possible if we have perseverance.