Wesley Autrey

by Nick and Brandon from Milton

Wesley Autrey
Wesley Autrey

Wesley Autrey. A normal New Yorker like anyone else. One day changed this. The day this average construction worker was taking the train with his 2 girls, changed lives forever to come. The story of Wesley Autrey is a heroic one. One that shows remarkable qualities and bravery. This is Wesley Autrey's story.

“I don’t feel like I did something spectacular; I just saw someone who needed help. I did what I felt was right,” in the words of Wesley Autrey. Wesley saved a 19 year old suffering from a seizure. The seizure was not the fatal moment for the young film student. The film student stumbled into the tracks of the subway. Autrey saw subway coming and in a single act of courage, leaped onto the tracks and covered the student with his body. He was so close to the train, that the grease touched his cap. But that, dear reader is not all!

Of course no act of heroism goes unrewarded! Autrey was awarded $5,000 in money and an amazing $5,000 for his daughters scholarship from the President of the New York Film Academy. The one the victim is attending. He also received publicity on 3 different morning tv shows. Later, Wesley went on and appeared as a contestant on the game show Deal or No Deal. With three cases left $25, $10,000, and $1,000,000--he was presented an offer of $305,000, which he turned down. In the next round, he eliminated the case that held the million dollars. Playing the game throughout, he ultimately took the money in his own case: $25. However, as a token for his courage, he was also awarded a Jeep Patriot, through the courtesy of Chrysler; this was his second Jeep Patriot awarded to him on tv.

Wesley Autrey is a brave, kind, and humble man. He was brave for the risk of death of saving the student; kind, for saving someone he never knew; humble, for accepting his gifts graciously without being a total showoff. Wesley is an on-the-spot hero. He had a split second to decide what to do. He chose the hero's path, one that can truly never become forgotten. Wesley Autrey is our hero.

Wesley Autrey - Time 100

Thank you to all the I-Leap teachers and congratulations to Mrs. Siddle's baby, Jude. Thanks a ton! Also a huge thanks to Brandon Beliveau for creating the photostory.