Warren Buffett

by Andrew from San Diego

Young Warren (http://can-turtles-fly.blogspot.com/2011/12/warren-buffetts-evolution-and-his-three.html (Sivaram Velauthapillai))

"Buffett passed Bill Gates to become the richest person in the United States, with an estimated worth of $58 billion" (Gale). Warren came from less than humble roots but has cast his own shadow at size no other in his family can compare. A success story of pure brilliance, Warren Buffett, world-class investor, philanthropist and humble American citizen provides an astounding example to anyone in many ways. From Buffett's humble lifestyle and success like no other career, to his charity giving and loyalty to investors makes Buffett a true hero to anyone aspiring to change the world.

Although born wealthy, son to a broker and later member of the House of Representatives, young Warren Buffett showed great promise through his childhood and early adult life. His college schooling at University of Pennsylvania and Grad school at Columbia University's Graduate School of Business truly impacted young Warren when he met Benjamin Graham who influenced his investing strategy greatly. Benjamin Graham's methodologies include subtracting a company's liabilities from assets and purchasing undervalued stocks in a hope that the market would later catch on to the stock. Through Graham's methodology and Buffett's genius, Buffett began his own investment company, Berkshire Hathaway, Inc., a textile company that he expanded upon into the huge empire today. Today, Warren Buffett is the richest man in the United States and board member to various large corporations and chairman of Berkshire Hathaway.

Warren Buffett on investing (http://www.treehugger.com/renewable-energy/warren-buffett-gives-update-shareholders-wind-and-solar-investments.html (Michael Graham Richard))

A role model is a person who sets an example for others to follow in place. Buffett is just that; as he sets for any American citizen with his humble life style.  Buffett shows his humble nature about purchasing a corporate jet, "Last summer we sold the corporate jet that we purchased for $850,000 three years ago and bought another used jet for $6.7 million. Those of you who recall the mathematics of the multiplying bacteria on page 5 will understandably panic: If our net worth continues to increase at current rates, and the cost of replacing planes also continues to rise at the now-established rate of 100% compounded annually, it will not be long before Berkshire's entire net worth is consumed by its jet." (Buffett). These words from Buffet are evidence of his great thrifty nature towards all things considered accessories such as a corporate jet. Also, by purchasing a "used" jet Buffett is cutting costs by choosing a simpler, cheaper option.

A role model is a person who sets an example for others to follow in place. Buffett is just that; as he sets for any American citizen with his humble life style.  Buffett shows his humble nature about purchasing a corporate jet, "Last summer we sold the corporate jet that we purchased for $850,000 three years ago and bought another used jet for $6.7 million. Those of you who recall the mathematics of the multiplying bacteria on page 5 will understandably panic: If our net worth continues to increase at current rates, and the cost of replacing planes also continues to rise at the now-established rate of 100% compounded annually, it will not be long before Berkshire's entire net worth is consumed by its jet." (Buffett). These words from Buffet are evidence of his great thrifty nature towards all things considered accessories such as a corporate jet. Also, by purchasing a "used" jet Buffett is cutting costs by choosing a simpler, cheaper option. Being humble about a jet purchase makes Buffett a role model. In contrast, some less wealthy executives would choose a more expensive option. Despite Buffett's great wealth he still chooses to stay thrifty, a trait all American citizens should have. Another example of Buffet's humble nature is "He lives in an average home in Omaha, famously drives an old car, and maintains a fairly small office with few staff."(EBSCO). This description of Buffet shows how humble he is despite his great excess of money, choosing simpler options rather than extravagant purchases that might flaunt his money. This humility makes Buffett a hero since most Americans try to flaunt their wealth, to the extent of purchasing items they cannot truly afford such as real estate or automobiles. Not Buffett - he is the living example of what all Americans should strive to be-the top individual in their career yet staying humble.

Warren Buffett on Time (http://www.zillow.com/blog/2012-01-23/warren-buffett-predicts-housing-starts-will-jump-start-employment (Time))

Another reason why Buffett is a hero is due to his great charity work with schools and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Education donations are big to Buffett as, "When you have something that works, if you can change the lives of 500 or 1,000 people and many children in one area, why even limit yourself as to thoughts of how far it can go?"(Buffett). Supporting children's education is heroic due to that without Buffett's hefty donations. Schools wouldn't quite provide the learning atmosphere and techniques that they are able to with the increased amount of funding. Giving money to schools for press or as a tax write off does not make one a hero but by helping others when there is a need and seeing a school benefit does. As Buffett does by giving to his own state schools where he can see his money at work. Also, Buffett's massive donation to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation all is spent usefully due to that the donations will only be accessible to the foundation as long as Bill and Melinda are running it, "Buffett announced that he would pledge an annual gift of stock to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, as long as either Bill or Melinda Gates remained involved in directing the foundation's activities. His first year's gift of 500,000 shares, made in August of 2006, was estimated to be worth more than $1.5 billion."(Gale). Donating large amounts of money makes Buffett a hero since he is helping those in need with the money he hard earned through his investments. Donating to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is heroic due to the vast amount Buffett donates despite the fact that most of the money he will never see spent due to his diagnosis of prostate cancer and old age. Also, Buffett is thrifty when it comes to purchasing possessions with his money, yet when it comes to charity or funding education money is just a tool to the happiness and help of others.

Buffett is richest man in the United States; however that has no impact on his ability to be a hero. Buffett is a hero for the fact that year after year he satisfies his investors, that he is a role model with his humble nature despite his enormous wealth, that he donates massive sums to schools and charities but lives in an average home and drives an old car. Buffett continues to make his mark on the world like few other have ever been able to but yet not become self obsessed or flaunt his wealth in ways most Americans try to do. All the things besides great wealth make Buffett a hero like no other, leading others to strive to become a little like him and make their mark as makes his today.

Works Consulted

Buffett, Warren E. "Chairman's Letter - 1989." Chairman's Letter - 1989. Berksire Hathaway, 2  Mar. 1990. Web. 22 May 2012

Buffett, Warren E. The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America. Selected, arranged, and introduced by Lawrence A. Cunningham. Rev. ed. New York: L. Cunningham, 2007.

Hagstrom, Robert G. The Warren Buffett Way: Investment Strategies of the World's Greatest  Investor. New York: John Wiley Sons, 1997.

Johansen, Bruce E., and Johansen Bruce E. "Warren Buffett." Great Lives From History: The Incredibly Wealthy (2010): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 9 May 2012.

Kilpatrick, Andrew. Of Permanent Value: The Story of Warren Buffett. Birmingham, Ala.: AKPE, 1994.

Warren Buffett." Newsmakers. Detroit: Gale, 1995. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 7 May 2012.