Winston Churchill: Their Finest Hour

by Isabella from San Diego

(http://www.saak.nl/battlefieldtour/2008%20england/london/london%20(23).jpg)

"Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duty, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth lasts for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'”(Churchill, Winston. “Their Finest Hour.”). These words, spoken by Winston Churchill during the grueling times of the London Blitz, still resonate true. That time, despite the terror, worries and suffering felt by the British people, is still held by many to be their finest hour. During World War ll, one of the darkest, most infamous times in history, a determined and courageous Winston Churchill inspired the British people through stirring speeches and led the fight against the bloodthirsty Nazis.

(http://therawdeal2009.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/winston_churchill_380x5001.jpg)

Winston Churchill was born Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill on November 30, 1874 at Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire, England to Lord Randolph Churchill, a politician, and Jennie Jerome, an American. Churchill had a well-to-do, but cold youth, with distant parents and an unsuccessful school career. As a young adult, he enlisted in the military, serving for four years. In 1908, he married Clementine Hozier, with whom he had five children. Churchill served in the British government for thirty-four years before elected Prime Minister on May 10, 1940. During the devastating events of the war, Churchill kept moral up through inspirational speeches. Churchill left office in 1945 after leading the Allies to victory, but was reelected in 1951. The same year, he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth ll and became a honorary US citizen. Two years later, in 1953, he won the Nobel Prize for literature. Churchill died on January 24, 1965, in London, England, nine days after suffering a stroke. A state funeral service held in his honor allowed the mourning English people to say a final goodbye to an inspirational leader.

Churchill spearheaded the fight against hatred, racism and corruption during World War ll while keeping his country united. At the beginning of his term in office, “he declared that Britain’s only objective was a complete victory” (“Churchill, Winston.” Gale Contextual Encyclopedia of World Literature.). Churchill committed himself to abolishing Nazi Germany, which he viewed as representing all the evils of the world. He declared that he would not tolerate the Nazis and their harmful objectives. Besides his attempts to crack down on the Nazis, he also strove to make sure his people collaborated. “As he lay gravely ill, everyone from king to commoner was concerned, and Britain had, for the first time since Churchill had become prime minister, shown signs of faltering” (“Churchill, Winston (1874-1965)”). Churchill kept the devastated Britain together, by making sure that unity was a priority. Without him, the nation might have crumbled and fallen under the rule of the Gestapo as so many others had. Churchill possessed leadership qualities that allowed him to oppose Nazi Germany and unite his country.

(http://sanseverything.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/winston_churchill_01.jpg)

Churchill was blessed with leadership qualities necessary in overseeing the struggle of World War ll. His resolve, courage, and belief in conquest were the characteristics which ultimately led to his success. These are evident through his actions. “As the battle raged, Churchill turned up everywhere” (Thompson). Churchill involved himself personally in the war effort by actively participating in the management of the war. Also, Churchill gave his citizens hope by means of his intimate dedication to the military and conviction in a positive outcome. Churchill said: "I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny” (Churchill, Winston. “We Shall Fight on the Beaches.”). Churchill’s assertion demonstrated his great faith in his country and himself, which he influenced his followers to feel as well. He was able to inspire confidence in his leadership through his rousing speeches which united his people.

At an anguished time in the world’s history, Churchill used words to inspire his countrymen. “Said Churchill: ‘I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat’”(Thompson). Churchill inspired strength in his country through promises of diligent work to protect and attack. “His speeches in Parliament and on the radio offered the inspiration the country needed...” (“Churchill, Winston.” Gale Contextual Encyclopedia of World Literature.). Throughout the challenging years of the war, Churchill was steadfast, providing words to boost the morale of the war-torn nation. Together with his other qualities, Churchill brought an imperiled nation through a critical period in history. Winston Churchill’s devotion, valor, and conviction helped him succeed in defeating Nazi oppression, and inspired optimism in the British people through an abject period, leading to their finest hour.

"Churchill, Winston". "Gale Contextual Encyclopedia of World Literature." Vol. 1. 2009.

"Churchill, Winston (1874-1965)". "DISCovering Biography.." Online ed. Detroit. 2003.

Churchill, Winston. "Their Finest Hour. "London: The Churchill Centre and Museum, Web 14 May 2010.

Churchill, Winston. "We Shall Fight Them on the Beaches. "London: The Churchill Centre and Museum, Web 14 May 2010.

"Churchill, Winston". "World War ll Reference Library. "Ed. Barbra C Bigelow. Detrit: UXL: Gale Virtual Reference Library, 1999.