Winston Churchill

by Rachel from Yucaipa

Sir Winston Churchill (googleimages)
Sir Winston Churchill (googleimages)

My hero is Winston Churchill. He was born on November 30, 1874. He was born in London and left his imprint on world history.

Winston Churchill is my hero because he was a great leader during World War II. He was the British prime minister. His speeches inspired, motivated, and uplifted people during the worst of times. He was a soldier, journalist, author, artist, politician, historian, and an important leader, not just in Britain, but all over the world. He had strong convictions and stuck by them.

Winston Churchill is most famous for his leadership during World War II. In 1940, Britain was alone against Hitler's Nazi Germany. He made friends with Theodore Roosevelt, the president of the United States at the time, where he was able to get more ammo and other resources and eventually more men that he needed to fight. He led Britain and the other Allied countries until they defeated Germany and he refused to surrender or compromise.

He was a great speaker even though he was born with a speech impediment. He overcame many obstacles and roused people with his words of wit and wisdom. Queen Elizabeth II made him a knight and he won many other awards. President Kennedy awarded him honorary citizen of the United States of America. He died of old age on January 24, 1965. He was 90 years old!

If I could meet him, I would ask him how he was able to be such a good leader and had the courage to do what he did. I would want to know if he was afraid that his people wouldn't listen to him. It would be an honor to meet him. What I like about him most is how he was against evil and made friends with the U.S.