Welles Crowther

by Artur from San Diego

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welles_Crowther ()

On September 11th, 2001, a terrible tragedy struck the United States. Two planes, American Airlines flight 11 and United Airlines flight 175, struck both towers of the World Trades Center killing thousands. Most people who could've escaped did and left everyone else in the tower to their own demise. But, a man named Welles Crowther could've escaped saving his life. Instead, he helped others escape while ending his own."Welles Remy Crowther was born on Tuesday, May 17, 1977 at Lying-In Hospital, New York Hospital, NYC." (Alder). He grew up playing lacrosse and joined boy scouts at a young age. Since he was little, Crowther always carried around a red bandanna because his dad told him to. It acted as a handkerchief or a headband on warmer days and this unique trait of Crowther's helped separate him from others because of this red bandanna. It's also why Crowther is known as The Man With the Red Bandanna. As Crowther grew up, he carried what he learned from boy scouts with him into adulthood. Which later helped him have the qualities of being a hero. Bravery is defined as courageous behavior or character and selflessness is defined as caring more for the needs of others rather than yourself. These traits are vital for a hero to display and Welles Crowther, an ordinary worker, displays both. Welles Crowther, an equities trader, is a hero because of his bravery, selflessness, and inspiration to others shown on September 11th.

(https://www.911memorial.org/blog/remembering-%E2%8 ())

Welles Crowther is a hero because he displays bravery. Instead of acting scared and cowardly, Welles Crowther stand up tall and takes charge during the crisis. "He encouraged those who could walk to exit the building and carried one injured person on his back to get her to safety. His remains were found in the command center set up in the south tower"(Beres). By encouraging others during tough times, Crowther had to stay calm and brave through the crisis. This helped him in saving others and his bravery helped those who he saved. Without his bravery other people wouldn't have stayed calm. Also, Crowther helped the many people who were injured. Carrying an injured person took bravery because of the circumstances and that the building was on fire, making carrying someone dangerous. Also, Crowther saves countless lives on his own not needing to be a firefighter or a police officer to save lives. "An equities trader on the South Tower's 104th floor, Crowther helped dozens of people to safety on September 11" (CNN). Crowther isn't a firefighter making his act of kindness more brave. He sprung into action while the tower he was in was burning and collapsing. It wasn't his job, he was brave on his own and saved others. Also, he saved dozens of people going back for more and more even after knowing that the building was going to collapse. He did all of this on his own making him very brave and because of Crowther's encouragement and saving others on his own, he displays bravery which contributes to the reason of why he is a hero.

(http://www.karmatube.org/videos.php?id=3662 ())

The second reason why Welles Crowther is a hero because of his selfless acts on September 11th. Throughout the crisis, Crowther had chances to escape with his life and leave the tragedy behind him, but he chose to stay and help others. "Welles Crowther could easily have saved himself, but he stopped to rescue Wein and Young and at least four others. In his grief, Jefferson Crowther justifiably takes "inestimable pride" in his son" (Alder). In this instance, Crowther was very selfless, by up his life to save strangers he never met, instead of saving his own life. He put others needs in front of his.Crowther knew he was in danger but he put his life on the line trying to save Wein and Young. He made sure that they were out of danger and into safe hands before Crowther left them. Also, Welles stops to save people that are hurt or endangered. " 'If it weren't for him," says Young, "we would have waited for the firemen to come up and get us. And they never got there' "(Alder). By making the ultimate sacrifice, Crowther saved lives that were injured or helpless. Like Young said, If Crowther wouldn't have helped, the firefighters wouldn't have made it. Crowther was their only hope. By helping Young, Crowther gave up his life showing his selflessness on September 11th, 2001. Due to his selflessness, Welles Crowther possess another trait vital for being a hero.

Finally, Welles Crowther is a hero due to his inspiration to others. While the South Tower of the World Trades Center was burning and crumbling, Crowther stood tall and helped out. He rescued strangers that wouldn't have made it without his help. One person he helped save was Ling Young. "Ling Young, who was saved by Welles Crowther on September 11, keeps a picture of Crowther in her home" (CNN). Due to his heroic act of saving her, she was inspired by him and thankful for her life. Young keeps a picture of Crowther in her room to help inspire her to help others and be selfless. Also, Crowther inspires others to help people you don't know or people you won't normally help. Instead of getting to safety, Crowther stops to save people like Lin Young, who he didn't know, before himself. After several grueling minutes, Welles popped onto the floor and made his remarks. "Badly burned, Young and her fellow survivors obediently followed Welles, who was carrying a young black woman on his back" (CNN). Crowther inspires people to be selfless and help people, even if they aren't people you know. This action can make someone's day or save someone's life.

(http://www.nasul.tv/00-00-3/ ())
(http://www.nasul.tv/00-00-3/ ())

Because of his bravery, selflessness, and inspiration to others, Welles Crowther possesses the attributes to be a hero. For Crowther's family, they can remember his heroic acts on September 11th when he helped injured people, took charge in a rescue effort, and selflessly gave up his life to save others. Welles Crowther inspires people through his heroic acts on 911. As the buildings were crumbling, Crowther stood tall and led a rescue group helping people escape the towers. This inspires people to put others needs in front of yours and when you're in a crisis situation, never to back down. While Crowther's life did end, but it makes it less sad knowing that he saved people from a tragedy. "Allison Crowther said from her Upper Nyack, New York, home.'I am just so proud and gratified that he had the strength of character, the courage, the sense of duty to help others.' "(CNN).

Adler, Jerry. "Five Who Survived: When the hijacked planes slammed into the World Trade

Center, more than 1,100 people were trapped by wreckage and fire on the upper floors. Fewer than 20 managed to get out alive. Here are their stories." Newsweek, 9 Sept. 2002, p. 20. Academic OneFile, go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?p=GPS&sw=w&u=powa9245&v=2.1&id=GALE%7CA91059520&it=r&asid=73565572f37dd5205ead199782cad702. Accessed 28 Apr. 2017.

Beres, Christine. "Leadership as viewed from the front lines." Educator Update, Fall 2011, p.

21+. Academic OneFile,

go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?p=GPS&sw=w&u=powa9245&v=2.1&id=GALE%7CA271053531&it=r&asid=ddd6830dd85d38b12a70b477790db8e3. Accessed 28 Apr. 2017.

"CNN." CNN, Cable News Network, 2005,

www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2002/america.remembers/stories/heroes/welles.html.

Accessed 28 Apr. 2017.