Welles Crowther

by Alec Donavan from San Diego

Welles Crowther "If you are able to stand, then stand now. If you are capable to help others, then help now." (Welles Remy Crowther). My hero, Welles Crowther, is a natural leader and a courageous person. Crowther was born in the suburbs of New York and raised in a family of five. His parents describe him as fearless and selfless even in his early years. Crowther was a trader for a stock company called Sandler O'neill and Partners, located on the 104th floor of the South Tower. Sadly, he was inside one of the buildings that was attacked during the tragic event 9/11. According to survivor accounts, Crowther saved as many as twelve people during the attacks on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 ("American Heros"). Many firefighters and policeman lost their lives that day and they will never be forgotten. However, it's the ordinary people that sacrificed their lives that day that are the true heros. A hero must show courage and selflessness which allows them to put their life at risk for others. Not only is Welles Crowther courageous for going in the tower without knowing whether he would come out alive, but also selfless for for putting the lives of others before his own. That day he became known as "The Man in the Red Bandana."

Welles Crowther had the courage to go into a burning building to try and save lives, not because it was his job, but his calling. When his parent got news of the survivors confirming that Welles was "The man in the red bandana" they were ecstatic to find out he died a hero's death. "I am just so proud and gratified that he had the strength of character, the courage, the sense of duty to help others."(Hinojosa, Maria). Welles had a certain inner duty that made him go back. Because of his bravery and courage to go help those people, he is known today as a hero. Welles is a great example of a true hero who shows us how impactive we can be with a positive attitude. "...Crowther reminded us what's possible when courage is summoned and fear renounced, renewing our faith in humanity during one of the darkest days in American history." ("American Heroes Channel"). Welles showed us how no matter what situation we can always be positive and be the best person we can be. In his case, stay calm and find a way out. An author talks about Welles heroically saying, "Heroes like Welles Crowther are born in a moment but live on for eternity as symbols of staggering courage and personal sacrifice in defense of the greater good," ("American Heroes Channel"). Welles will always be remembered for his act of courage that September morning. Welles' courageous not for only going into the building but, going back two more times to save as many lives as he could.

On September 11th, a selfless Welles Crowther put others lives as the first priority in front of his own. Crowther's mother was talking about Welles' actions on that sad September morning quoting, "I don't think for a moment he was thinking about his own safety . He was thinking about the lives of all these people." ("'Man in the Red Bandanna' Died Saving Others"). Crowther had one thing on his mind and that was to save as many lives as he could. He knew that their were more people in the tower and he couldn't bring himself to leave them. Sadly, on his third journey up, the building collapsed. Welles was able to have the ability stray away from fear and help others. "When the plane hit his tower he didn't have to stay and help people. He could have done what most people did, get to a stair well and get out of the tower. However, he chose to stay, not because that was his job, but because there was something inside him that told him go and help anyone who was trapped." (S, Tyler). Welles made a choice that he would go back as many times as he could, not because he had to, but because he felt he had a job to do. That job was to be the best person he can be and make a positive impact. Welles made a decision that day to not think about himself, but about the lives of others. One the survivors that got out with the help of Welles talks about him saying, "'I see this incredible hero, running back and forth and saving the day,' recalled Judy Wein. 'In his mind, he had a duty to do -- to save people.'"(Hinojosa, Maria). Welles was a volunteer firefighter when he was younger and that piece of him couldn't let him leave those people still up there. He put others before himself and for that reason he is a hero.

Welles had the courage to go in the building three times not knowing what would happen to himself. He could've walked out with the first group of survivors he led to the staircase. However, instead he decided to go back up. Welles was not only courageous, but selfless as well. He knew there were more people stuck in the building and he made them his first priority over his own life. A survivor from the first group of people Welles led on states, "'He's definitely my guardian angel -- no ifs, ands or buts -- because without him, we would be sitting there, waiting [until] the building came down,'" says Ling Young." He was credited for saving at least twelve lives and some articles even say eighteen. But, if it wasn't for him putting other people's lives in front of his own twelve to eighteen people wouldn't be here today. On Welles second trip up he put a red bandana around his mouth to keep the smoke from filling up his lungs. Many people see the red bandana as a symbol. A narrator talks about the red bandana calling it a, "Symbol of Absolutely the most pure form of compassion and love"("Man In The Red Bandanna). Because of Welles the red bandana means much more than a piece of cloth today. The red bandana is now known as a symbol of courage, strength and selflessness. Welles was a great person and his impact on the earth will be forever remembered. Crowther always believed in being the best person you can be. On September 11th, 2001 Welles made sure that he was being the best man he could possibly be. Today, think about your life and ask yourself one question. Are you being the best person you can be?