Welles Crowther

by Sky from San Diego

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welles_Crowther#/med ())

"He looked the devil straight in the eye that day and fought with all the strength and fiber of his being," Alison Crowther said. "He died saving others" (Lerner). Crowther's mother exclaims, her heroic son did everything he could to save people. Crowther was born on May 17, 1977 in New York and died September 11, 2001. When he was a young boy, his father handed him a red bandana as a symbol for their relationship. Crowther's father volunteered as a firefighter. Growing up, Crowther was able to take after him to become a volunteer firefighter. He eventually worked at the World Trade Center in the South Tower as an equities trader while he volunteered his time at the local firefighter station. On September 11, 2001 when the terrorist attacks hit, Crowther put others ahead of himself, he used his firefighter skills, and saved at least a dozen people. A hero possess bravery and selflessness and on that that day that is what he possessed, constituting him to be a true hero on that day. Bravery is a nerve telling us to do something for others when other people are too scared to help. Selflessness is defined as putting others in front of one's self. Welles Crowther possesses bravery and selflessness because on the day of September 11, 2001 he sacrificed himself to save 12 people, 12 people he did not know because he felt it was his duty.

(http://d279m997dpfwgl.cloudfront.net/wp/2016/09/09 ())

Crowther was brave because of the actions he took on 9/11. Crowther saved everyone that he could have in the quote, "His heroics included carrying a woman on his shoulder down 17 flights of stairs" ("September 2017, Verdi Productions and Manga Entertainment to Release 9/11 Documentary Entitled 'Man in Red Bandana'"). Crowther demonstrates bravery because he  helped many people in a very dangerous environment. He never looked back even while he was carrying down a women 17 flights of stairs. Along with Welles' bravery, he also had a passion in firefighting in the quote, "But Welles's act was not only a reflection of tremendous selflessness and courage but of a lifetime of experience and smaller decisions that shaped him for that moment" (Genovese). His desire of becoming a firefighter and helping the community led him to his special moment of bravery. Crowther saved several people when he could have died at any given moment which proves his bravery. Crowther's bravery and his ambition of becoming a firefighter shaped him into the hero he was on 9/11.

(https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/2_-_ ())

Crowther put others before himself showing his heroic characteristic of selflessness. While helping people down the stairs during the attack, Crowther stopped to tell them this,"'I have to leave you here,' he said. 'I have to go back up and help others'" (Lerner). He consistently kept trying to go back up the stairs to save people even when he saved so many people already and could have died at any moment. This demonstrates Crowther's selflessness. Welles Crowther gave up his life for others in the quote,"Man in Red Bandana tells the incredible story of Welles Crowther, a 24-year old civilian who gave his life saving others in the South Tower of the World Trade Center" ("September 2017, Verdi Productions and Manga Entertainment to Release 9/11 Documentary Entitled 'Man in Red Bandana'"). Crowther saved more than twelve people and lost his own life because he was putting others before himself. This demonstrates selflessness because of his motivation to help others rather than himself. Crowther was selfless because he saved several people's lives, but not his own.

Welles Crowther possessed many characteristics of a hero including but not limited to bravery, selflessness, and serves as an inspiration to many. Crowther showed bravery when he saved people in an extremely dangerous environment and took charge in order to help. He demonstrated selflessness due to his motivation to help others over himself. Although, he died because of this, he died a hero. Crowther serves as an inspiration because many say they are going to choose what is right over wrong even when they have to put their life on the line but, words are just words and Crowther did more than just say it. He showed it even when it was his life at risk. He did not take the time to check on himself. Instead, he persevered until he could no longer. He once told his friend that he wanted to be part of something that makes a difference. Crowther accomplished that on that day, that day of 9/11. Welles Crowther was a hero for his inspiring actions on 9/11. Due to his heroic actions unfortunately, we lost a hero. His life memories will always live on in the people he saved.

Genovese, Nick. "What Prepared Welles Crowther to Lay down His Life for Others on 9/11?" America Magazine, America the Jesuit Review, 7 Nov. 2016, www.americamagazine.org/content/all-things/man-red-bandanna-gave-his-life-save-it. Accessed 1 May 2017.

Lerner, Jane. "Welles Crowther: The Man behind the Red Bandanna." Lohud.com, The Journal News, 15 May 2014, www.lohud.com/story/news/local/sept-11/2014/05/15/welles-crowther-red-bandanna/9122967/. Accessed 1 May 2017.

"September 2017, Verdi Productions and Manga Entertainment to Release 9/11 Documentary Entitled 'Man in Red Bandana'." PR Newswire, 13 Mar. 2017. Biography in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A485221124/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=2644a3b1. Accessed 2 May 2017.