Walter E. Disney

by Chase from San Diego

The symbol for the castle shown on TV commercials and movies are recognized around the world. Some know it as the Disney Castle at Disneyland parks or just as a emblem for Disney movies. Not many give the time to think about the genius who started this entertainment empire. However, saying that Disney was just a cartoonist is a disservice. He was a great animator and had a incredible imagination to be able to create the happiest place on earth. Disney made hundreds of Cartoons and movies, a few winning Oscar nominations and other such awards. He also created Disneyland which has been visited from leaders all over the world. Walt Disney is a hero because he has affected the world positively by pioneering in animation, creating Disneyland and being an inspiration.

In 1901, Walt was born in Chicago, Illinois. In 1910, the Disneys moved to Kansas City where Walt learned about motion pictures. In 1917, he joined the Red Cross as a ambulance driver, but he had to lie about his age to get into the Red Cross because he was only sixteen at the time. In 1925, he met and married Lillian Bounds. 1928 was the year Disney started becoming successful, the year Mickey Mouse was born, originally called Mortimer, but his wife Lillian thought Mickey sounded better. Then in 1938, Snow White, the first full length color film, was released earning an amount of 8 million dollars. It was the Golden Age of animation for Disney. During the late 1940’s the idea of Disneyland was created and later built, but it officially opened in 1955, along with the “Mickey Mouse Club”. In 1964 Mary Poppins became the most popular Disney film of the 1960’s winning nominations. But sadly Walt Disney dies in 1966 of lung cancer. Walt Disney’s life was successful in contributing to the world in a positive way.

Walt Disney is a hero because he was a major pioneer in animation. One of the ways he pioneered in animation was through sound. “His first early successful creation was Mickey Mouse who debuted in the first sound cartoon” (Disney UXL). The first sound animation was a major achievement, it was called “Steam Boat Willie” featuring Mickey Mouse for the first time. Disney made cartoons better by adding sound because before they would have subtitles. Another way he pioneered in animation was by using color in his cartoons. “In 1932 Disney developed the first cartoon to be made in full color” (Disney UXL). The first full color animation was called “Flowers and Trees” an installment in his “Silly Symphony” series. This was a major achievement because it had never been done before and it was the start of color in cartoons. Walt Disney was no doubt a pioneer in animation. It did not take long for Disney to find another way to connect with the audiences.

Walt Disney is a hero because he made the happiest place on earth, “Disneyland”. “Disneyland was the first theme park ever made” (Disney Encyclopedia). A theme park is an amusement park built around a central idea. This is an achievement because this laid out the path for other amusement parks to become theme parks. Disneyland was also one of the only places where even adults can act like kids. “I said to myself, ‘why can’t there be a better place to take your children where you can have fun together?’ Well it took me about fifteen years to develop the idea” (Disney UXL). Disneyland truly allows for families to be together and have fun. There are also Disneylands in Europe and Japan. Disneyland is truly an achievement. Disneyland was a great success as it is even today but Disney did more than just make cartoons and Disneyland.

Walt Disney is an inspiration to me because of how he helped make a new university and how he believes anyone can do anything. Disney wanted to build things and get something going and he did that by helping to start the California Institute of the Arts in addition to his several theme parks. “The California Institute of the Arts (known as Cal Arts) was what Disney thought as the best education for the arts” (Disney UXL). He believed in sharing new things for the next generation to use. He thought the new college would help combine imaginations from around the country. Disney is an inspiration because of the quote he says, “I hope we don’t lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a Mouse” (Disney Quotes). This quote means that anyone can achieve greatness. Walt can relate to his own quote because he started out as a normal person and worked his way to greatness. Walt Disney was a dreamer who showed the world that anyone could achieve greatness. He is an inspiration and a hero to be remembered for ever.

Works Consulted

"Disney Quotes." Disney Dreamer. N.p., 2007. Web. 25 May 2010.

"Disney, Walt (1901-1966)." DISCovering Biography. Online ed. Detroit: Gale, 2003. Student Resource Center - Gold. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 12 May. 2010

“Disney, Walt (1901–1966)." Encyclopedia of European Social History. Ed. Peter N. Stearns. Vol. 6: Biographies/Contributors. Detroit: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2001. 80-81. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 12 May 2010

"Disney, Walt (1901-1966)." UXL Biographies. Online ed. Detroit: UXL, 2003. Student -Gold. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 12 May. 2010

Josephson, Judith. Walt Disney Genius of Entertainment. Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922: Enslow Publishers, Inc., 2006.