Walt Disney

by Joshua from San Diego

Disneyland 1955 Opening  (http://www.history.com/news/disneylands-disastrous (Courtesy of History.com))
Disneyland 1955 Opening (http://www.history.com/news/disneylands-disastrous (Courtesy of History.com))

Walt Disney's Dream

During the 1900's, the world lived in the Depression and the first of the world wars, but when Walt Disney decided to follow his dreams he made history, starting from a mouse and a very big dream. The story of Disney's dream began when he was growing up in Hermosa of Chicago, Illinois, and was raised by his father Elias and mother Flora Call. Disney grew up always trying to make or do things with his life, whether it was drawing class or even learning about trains in the country with his Uncle Mike Martin. Disney had adventures even before he shared them with the world, like joining the Red Cross and driving an ambulance for a year, or even trying to get into the military with his brother Roy when he was rejected for his age. But, the one time when Walt started to have greater dreams was when he went to Hollywood after declaring bankruptcy from another studio, and opened one with his brother that led to his superior success. Walt Disney was a man of many talents, and was a creative, inventive, and inspirational person.

Walt Disney (http://www.notablebiographies.com/De-Du/Disney-Walt.html)

Walt liked to express his wonders of imagination and invention, and when he made Mickey Mouse, he became an inspiring hero to others and was a very creative person. When Disney jump-started his career, it was the animation that he and a team of artists came up with that really helped with their success in the industry. "Walt Disney was one of the great pioneers of film-making and the creator of several classic films, most notably his feature-length animated films such as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Pinocchio" (Business Leader Profiles for Students.) Walt Disney was creative because he created a new style of film-making with the use of animation, and made animatronics and theme parks that no one would of though of him to do in his life. Disney and and Disneyland was the beginning of the #1 theme park industry in the world, alongside its classic films that he helped create. It was definitely not animation that made him such a brilliance, but by acting out as a hero to others to inspire people to do something with their talents. "His first success came with the creation of Mickey Mouse in Steamboat Willie. Steamboat Willie was the first fully synchronized sound cartoon and featured Disney as the voice of a character first called "Mortimer Mouse" (Encyclopedia of World Biography.) He advanced in his career when he made the thing that started it all, Mickey Mouse. It was Steamboat Willie that made Mortimer Mouse a sensation, combining a new sound and motion in animation. Finally, Disney agreeing with his wife Lillian Bounds, called him Mickey Mouse instead. If Disney could build, he could also create, and that's exactly what he has achieved and shared with everyone who believed in his dream.

Steamboat Willie (1928)  (https://astrumpeople.com/walt-disney-biography/ (Courtesy of Walt Disney and Ubbe Iwerks))
Steamboat Willie (1928) (https://astrumpeople.com/walt-disney-biography/ (Courtesy of Walt Disney and Ubbe Iwerks))

Disney was a dreamer because he had big ideas that he wanted to share with everyone around him. Even though he has moved on, Walt's dreams have not been lost, but have expanded because of the mark he left on everyone around him. "At the time of his death, his enterprises had garnered him respect, admiration, and a business empire worth over $100 million-a-year, but Disney was still remembered primarily as the man who had created Mickey Mouse over two decades before" (Encyclopedia of World Biography.) Even though Walt Disney died of a relapse from lung cancer in 1966, he wanted his dream to live on and only expand. He said that it was just the beginning and that it would not be the end of the Disney dream. Most people knew that what he had set out to do had changed a lot in his lifetime, but it wouldn't stop the Disney dream from expanding parks to Shanghai and older ones, from Disney Paris all the way to Tokyo DisneySea in Japan. His films have taken the world by storm since then in the franchises that they have also bought as a company. If you think his dream is over, then guess again. He made it from a minor studio to a studio of his own with the help of new technology and a genius group that shared Disney's same dream. "Disney remains the central figure in the history of animation. Through technological innovations and alliances with governments and corporations, he transformed a minor studio in a marginal form of communication into a multinational leisure industry giant. Despite his critics, his vision of a modern, corporate utopia as an extension of traditional American values has possibly gained greater currency in the years after his death" (American National Biography Online.) He has changed the world in many ways and can be called an inventor, a creator, a monarch, an artist. But most of all, he is a dreamer. His vision went past the critics and he never gave up on his dream, even though it was never easy. He was a workaholic and a smoker, but never once did that stop him from reaching his goals that he set out to do in his lifetime. He was a true hero that wanted to make something that he never once thought was possible, inspiring many in the process.

Walt Disney was the very first person to create a theme park and movie industry that not only spoke to people through stories on a physical level, but also an emotional level that has continued to inspire several young and old people for just over 60 years. One of the biggest openings in his career was Disneyland, a place where all the dreams of Walt himself came to life, and has portrayed the dream of him to impact several people on that day. "On July 18, 1957, Disney opened Disneyland, a gigantic projection of his personal fantasies in Anaheim, California, which has proved the most successful amusement park in history with 6.7 million people visiting it by 1966" (Encyclopedia of Word Biography.) Disney had worked on his dream for as far as he could remember, but finally saw that become a reality in the years that led in his creation. With so many people going to his park from the beginning and that point on to now, Walt has truly inspired people to be creative and follow their dreams. He has left a mark on how everyone will think on how they can impact the world in any way with their talents or special gifts. Disney invented many things, but some of his most inspirational works came from his ideas through animation. "A believer in technological progress, Disney was quick to embrace innovations, producing the first cartoon using the three-color Technicolor process (Flowers and Trees, 1932) and assigning camera department head William Garity to develop the multiplane camera, which allowed the use of three-dimensional effects beginning with The Old Mill (1937)" (American National Biography Online.) Disney was an inspiration to those especially when he created color through his animations and worked on inventions such as animatronics. He was thoughtful and creative to the people around him and that made him a natural success, inspiring young kids and even older people that wanted to think outside the box was a possibility. In conclusion, Walt Disney inspired everyone that loved his work and wanted to follow their dreams, or even wish upon a star.

(https://d23.com/about-walt-disney/)
(https://d23.com/about-walt-disney/)

In conclusion, the Disney dream has not yet left us and does not look like it will be going anywhere forever perhaps. Disney's ideas live on, and he himself would be in shock to see the progress that people have made in the dream that he started. Many would call his success more than a success, for he is a Hero. Walt Disney could be called by many as a hero because he is genuine and humble, hard-working, and has made new ways in influencing people about his dream. He wanted people to feel happy and safe, and also wanted people to follow their dreams as well. As Walt Disney would say to the Disney Company and Disneyland, "If you can dream it, you can do it," and all you have to do is have the imagination and ability to pursue your dream and do so. Walt Disney left an impact on the people around him, finding new ways to be an inventor, creator, and an inspiration to others, and his dream continues to this day.

Langer, Mark. "American National Biography Online: Disney, Walt."American National Biography Online: Disney, Walt. Oxford University Press, 2000. Web. 16 May 2016. .

Editors, Biography.com. "Walt Disney." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 16 May 2016. .

"Walt Disney." Business Leader Profiles for Students. Ed. Sheila Dow and Jaime E. Noce.                  

Vol. 1. Detroit: Gale, 1999. Biography in Context. Web. 29 Apr. 2016.

"Walter Elias Disney." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Research in

Context. Web. 2 May 2016.

Walt Disney - Biography.com - Talks about the life of Disney from the beginning to the end of his life.
The Disney Life - AmericanNationalBiography.org - A more in depth biography of Walt Disney.