Walter E. Disney

by Marco from San Francisco

All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. -Walt Disney
Walter E. Disney
Walter E. Disney

Walt Disney was a very inspirational cartoonist to many future animators and a person who could make all children’s and adults’ dreams come true. Walter Elias Disney was born in Chicago, Illinois, December 5, 1901 to his father, Elias Disney, and his mother, Flora Disney. Walt grew up on a farm in Marceline, Missouri, with his mother, father, his four brothers, and one sister.

During Walt’s childhood, he drew many amazing sketches and sold them to his neighbors. As Walt enjoyed his high school life at McKinley High School in Chicago, he also contributed to his school newspaper while going to Academy of Fine Arts at nights. When Walt wanted to join the military at sixteen years old, he was rejected and had to join the Red Cross. After the war Walt went to Kansas, where he became a revered advertising cartoonist. This is where he learned all the tricks to become a superior cartoonist.

In August of 1923, Walt left Kansas and went to Hollywood with nothing but his forty dollar well-worn suit, some drawing supplies, and his ideas. Walt’s brother had already been in California and gave Walt two hundred-fifty dollars, and the both of them bought a garage for Walt to work in for five hundred dollars. Walt then was given his first job; draw the animation for “Alice in Cartoonland”. On July 1925, Walt married Lillian Bounds and soon had two daughters, Diane and Sharon. Walt was also blessed with ten grandchildren.

When Mickey Mouse was created in 1928, he was debuted in the episode called “Steamboat Willie”, which was the first sound cartoon. He continued with his success when “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”, the first fully animated musical, premiered in 1937. Throughout the next five years he created many masterpieces such as "Fantasia," "Dumbo," "Bambi," and, a personal favorite, “Pinocchio.” In 1940, Walt’s Burbank Studio was completed with a total of one thousand artists in his studios. During World War II, Disney had set 94 per cent of his facilities to government work, such as production of training and propaganda films for the armed services and health films which are still shown throughout the world today.

With the many influences of his movies, Walt launched his most famous attribute, Disneyland. Disneyland took about 17 million dollars to make and more than 100 million people to build it. Walt was also one of the first to make color animation. Later in his life, Walt made plans to build Disney World. Although he could not live long enough to see his creations, he would be very proud. Walt will always be known as the man who made all people’s dreams come true.

Walter Elias Disney died December 15, 1966
Disney World opened October 1, 1971