Walt Disney

by Kush from Alabama

Portrait of Walt Disney (Alabama Virtual Library)

Walt Disney was born in 1901, and he died in 1966. He was born in Chicago, Illinois, the fourth of five children. In 1901, Walt’s family moved to Kansas City, Missouri. That’s where he got his first job as an artist. Disney attended McKinley High School, but he never got his diploma.

As a cartoonist, Walt Disney created Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, and Pluto. When he was young, he sketched farm animals. At a little older age, he created Laugh-O- Grams. After he moved away from his parents, he met Ub Iwerks. The man was a commercial artist, and he gave Disney the idea to turn his early ideas into profit.

After a while, Walt Disney started movie making. He made Snow White and Dumbo. Did you know it took over 700 artists to make Snow White!

As an entrepreneur he created Disneyland in Anaheim, California. Can you believe he sold his own life insurance to make Disneyland more perfect! Walt built a whole new studio just for Snow White.

Walt Disney was honored with over 100 prizes including 29 academy awards. In1964, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Now tell me if you�ve learned something or not?