Poets

William Saroyan

by Celine from Glendale

William Saroyan
William Saroyan

We all have heroes, the honorable people we set as our role models. Mine is William Saroyan. He was an author, playwright, and poet. In my opinion, being an author is difficult because I think writing an essay is challenging, let alone a story or play. Being a poet isn't the only reason why he's my hero, I admire his wisdom and passion. He is an inspiration to me.

William Saroyan lived from August 31, 1908 to May 18, 1981. His hometown was Fresno, California and he was of Armenian descent. He lived in an orphanage for five years. He couldn't read Armenian even though he was Armenian. That didn't stop him from writing many poems and short stories about the Armenian culture and life. He also was a playwright, and has received a couple of awards for his work. Later on in life, he gambled away most of his money and it is said that he had a drinking problem. He might not have been the most perfect person, but he's still a huge inspiration.

I first learned about William Saroyan probably in first grade. I went to an Armenian private school and there was always a poster of him in all my classes. This quote is one of my favorites and I think the meaning of it and what he is saying is true. I have also read a few of his short stories in my Armenian classes. He isn't my hero just because he's Armenian, he's my hero because i admire his passion and he is very wise. He inspires me to get involved in my Armenian community.

I grew up with Saroyan's writings. I think he's very intelligent, even if he did make a few mistakes in life. He has inspired me to get involved and people like him make me proud to be Armenian. He will forever be known as a wonderful Armenian poet.

"I should like to see any power of the world destroy this race, this small tribe of unimportant people, whose wars have all been fought and lost, whose structures have crumbled, literature is unread, music is unheard, and prayers are no more answered. Go ahead, destroy Armenia. See if you can do it. Send them into the desert with no bread or water. Burn their homes and churches. Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again. For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a New Armenia."

- William Saroyan