William Sherman

by Caden from Westerville

(Drawn by Caden)
(Drawn by Caden)

William Tecumseh Sherman was born on February 8th 1820. He lived in Lancaster, Ohio USA and was the seventh child out of eleven. He was also said to be the smartest in the family. His family was very big. One of his siblings' names was Elizabeth. His father’s name was Charles and his mother’s name was Mary. They had eleven children and a few didn’t make it to adulthood.

(Drawn by Caden)
(Drawn by Caden)

William had an unusual life. First he lived in a small framed house with a gigantic family. Also his father was a judge too. When he was nine the Ewing family took him in even though he was never legally adopted!

He married Ellen Boyle. Both of them raised 8 children. Most of them grew up to adulthood and had successful jobs.

(Drawn by Caden)
(Drawn by Caden)

William’s career was in the military. The biggest of the wars he fought in was the Civil War. He also fought in a little war called the Seminole War. His first assignment was in Virginia, and the battle was called: The Battle of Bull Run.

How Sherman got to be a general, is that he first started at West Point. After his studies there he entered the U.S Army to start his military experience. Also William’s first posts were at Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and California.

(Drawn by Caden)
(Drawn by Caden)

William Tecumseh Sherman did some major things in history. First he did the famous “March to the sea.” Another thing he did was fight at the battle in Vicksburg. Also he led 100,000 soldiers in Georgia!

When William was alive, one of the most brutal wars in history was going on……The Civil War. A lot of other things were going on like slavery, which caused the war. Also to fight in the war, the states separated and picked sides.

(Drawn by Caden)
(Drawn by Caden)

Once the Civil War ended William Sherman grew older. He died on February 14th 1891, and his body was transported from New York. His grave stands tall and proud in St. Louis, Missouri.

General Sherman made a huge impact in the United States history. First he helped end slavery by helping to defeat the Confederacy. Also he inspired other officers in the army to be just like him. Most importantly he helped defeat the Confederacy by wiping out all their industries.