William Wallace

by Caleb from Golden

Would a random Scottish man from a small royal background seem like a threat to you? Neither did England. Growing up in 13th century Scotland, William Wallace saw the destruction that the English inflicted on Scotland’s cities and villages. At the time, Scotland was owned by England and the English had complete power over all Scottish citizens. They galloped through the Scotland countryside, pillaging all villages and destroying any defenses they saw. William grew up in a terrible time when men didn't care about killing each other. He had seen many friends and family killed by the terrible men that made up the English troops. By the time William was old enough to fight, he was frustrated with the English invading their homeland. He decided it was time to fight back.

William entered history with the assassination of William de Heselerig, the English High Sheriff. Soon after, he joined up with William the Hardy. Hardy led one of the several rebellious groups traveling around Scotland, attempting to take control of their country. Wallace and Hardy set up base in the Forest of Selkirk to plan future attacks on the invaders taking over Scotland. On the gloomy day of September 11, 1297 Wallace accompanied by Andrew Moray and a small army marched toward Stirling Bridge. To everyone's surprise, the rebels won, although they were vastly outnumbered by England's army of 3,000 cavalry and 8,000-10,000 infantry. With William's bravery, he was named the Guardian of Scotland. He continued to fight for his country even if the odds of winning were slim.

April 1, 1298 at Falrik, William was defeated by the overpowering forces of the English Army. William massively misjudged Edward I’s forces. At the time Edward was the commander of the English army. Edward’s archers and their steel tipped arrows went straight through the primitive Scottish armor. William and the other rebels suffered a severe defeat and resigned as Guardians of Scotland. William continued in the fight for freedom against England.

After a while, Sir William Wallace was declared as a criminal against England. When he was finally caught he was hung, drawn, and quartered. Some of his finally words were "I can not be a traitor, for I owe him no allegiance. He is not my Sovereign; he never received my homage; and whilst life is in this persecuted body, he never shall receive it. To the other points whereof I am accused, I freely confess them all."

William was a hero because he fought with overpowering bravery until the day he died. He fought beside men that never gave up and fought with all there heart. Facing the entire English Army the Scottish rebels forced England to eventually let Scotland be free. Honoring Williams heroic actions Mel Gibson directing and starred in the Academy Award winning film, Braveheart. He had many quotes in the movie that stuck in peoples brains like, “Every man dies but not every man really lives.”

Rogerebert.com also did a review and said “It's an ambitious film, big on simple emotions like love, patriotism and treachery, and avoids the travelogue style of so many historical swashbucklers: Its locations look green, wet, vast, muddy and rugged.”

I personally believe that William Wallace is true hero because he fought for what he believed in no matter how hard it was to win. I, Caleb Allen, am related to Sir William Wallace on my father’s side. Mt grandmother’s maiden name was Wallace before she married my grandpa. My family once traced our origins to Scotland and the Wallace Family. He has always been a hero in my eyes.