William Wallace

by Nic from Weyauwega

Did you know how the will of one man can change the world. William Wallace did with passion and the search for equality, he went up against the king of England. Wallace is one of the only reasons Scotland is here today. William Wallace is great hero to me because he was noble in his actions, he was a great leader, he also fought with a reason for freedom.

William Wallace showed great strength in his childhood by overcame the death of his mother and then later death of his father. Wallace was born in a hard time for Scotland. The king had just died with no heir to the throne. In the emptiness of the throne the nobles are fighting for the crown. Wallace's father, being a noble, was killed at an early age for young Wallace. After his father's death his uncle takes Wallace in and enrolled him at Dundee high school. He then spent his life there till sometime in his 20's when he returned to Elderslie or his birthplace.("William Wallace."- War of Independence. BBC.nidweb,on Apr,2013)

William Wallace had very noble and unselfish reasons to fight. What started William Wallace's struggle against the British was the fact that they murdered his new wife. His wife was murdered while trying to resist from getting raped, Although true this was one of his main driving points, Wallace was a true Scot at heart and could not stand to see his fellow countrymen oppressed in such the way they were. Wallace stood for freedom above all and fought with a fiery passion. Wallace kept his head high and never gave up till he thought the job was done. True though that Scotland did not claim its independence till 1320, but Wallace legise put that in motion and started the term of events.(Ryan. "William Wallace." Myhero.com. N.p., 2 Oct. 2006. Web. 23 Apr. 2013.

William Wallace was a tremendous leader. His will alone lead thousands if not 10's of thousands of countrymen to the battlefield to take on the English. His leadership was so good I bet it was hard not to follow him. As a Scot himself he knew what his people wanted and led his people with that idea. One thing that led men to follow him was because he had a cause bigger than himself. He wasn't just fighting for himself but everyone. As a leader he never put himself before others. He thought of the lives of his countrymen and would not lead them to their graves. Yes many but in the words of William Wallace from the movie Braveheart "I am William Wallace! and I see a whole army of my countrymen, here in defiance of tyranny, you have come to fight as free men.. and free men you are. well what will you do with this freedom? will you fight?".(http:www.imdb.com/title/tt0112573/trivia?tab=qt) He led the men to their desire and dined on the victorious spoils with them till his execution in England in 1305.(Rattray, Lachlann. "Scotlands History in a Nutshell." Scotland's History. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2013.)

As I stated before Wallace shows great courage and ability to stand up for what is right. William led an entire country to their independence in which it wanted. William built the foundation in which Scotland stands so proudly upon today. He overcame the odds on many occasions like his father's and mother's death and the loss of his wife. The man showed that the will of one man can change the world forever. In my eyes William Wallace is one of the most notorious and strongest real life heroes in my book.