Wilma Rudolph

by Jared from San Diego

Wilma Rudolph, a world class sprinter, overcame all odds of walking and rose to the top after not being able to walk until age twelve. Her whole life she was involved with track and field starting out as an athlete and then as a coach and scout. She was the first American woman to win three gold medals in one year. She won in 100m, 200m and 4x100m really. She won them in the 1960 Olympics.

Wilma Rudolph was born with polio was never expected to walk and tried very hard to prove everyone wrong. “Rudolph’s confidence may have been flagged many timers in her childhood” She was not expected to ever walk so they were stunned when she walked by herself. They thought she would be in her wheelchair her whole life. “she went through her whole childhood with sickness and Disability.” She had scarlet fever, and polio at a very young age. She overcame all of her weaknesses to become the world athlete that she is today.

She persevered through her life as a runner for the United States, winning many awards. “In the 1956 Olympics she won a silver medal” She was satisfied that she got a silver medal but she wanted to be the best. She trained vigorously for the next four years. “In 1960 she won three gold medals and set the world record in the 200m dash.” She had finally achieved her goal of getting the gold medals. She was also the first African American to hold a US flag after winning the gold medal.

Wilma Rudolph continues to be an inspiration for the hardships she endured and her undefeatable attitude, which led to her becoming the fastest woman in the world. “After five years of treatment, Wilma one day stood up and walked by herself” Nobody but her family knew she was trying to walk and she stunned all of the doctors when she did. She astounded everybody as she walked across the room by herself. “By age thirteen she was racing other kids in her neighborhood and winning” From Polio to Gold, Wilma Rudolph truly shows her heroic dedication to fighting a disease that everyone else suspected would cripple her. But she refused to succumb to it, and used her legs better than anyone else on the planet.