Library

Fred and George Weasley

by Sara from Anchorage

My favorite picture of Fred and George. (Google Images)

Fred and George are the third and fourth oldest children in their family. They are twins. They have 3 other siblings. Charlie, who is the oldest and works in Romania studying dragons; Percy, the second oldest and has a job with the ministry of magic; Ron, the second youngest and who happens to be Harry Potter's best friend; and Ginny, the youngest and later becomes the love interest of Harry in book 6. Arthur and Molly Weasley and the parents of these 6 children.

Information from the forth book (Goblet of Fire), says the twins are born in April of 1978, But the actual date is unknown. A popular assumption for a day is April 1. After all, what better birthday for the twins than April Fools? Fred and George love to cause trouble, no questions asked. In all the scenes the twins are in, most of them include either a practical joke, advice on practical jokes, or some form of witty banter. The twins are considered as possibly the best jokesters Hogwarts has ever seen, their only competition being the Marauders. However, it is pretty obvious that the twins just love to make people, including themselves, laugh.

Over the course of the first five books, the Weasley twins get themselves in a lot of trouble. In book one, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, they don’t cause too much trouble. Just the occasional pop up to say something funny. The second book, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, they steal their fathers flying car to rescue Harry from his evil aunt and uncle. In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, they give Harry the Marauder's Map that he uses to sneak into Hogsmeade. In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, they attempt to place their names in the goblet. Once they cross the age barrier, magic causes them to grow beards and their hair to turn white. Finally, in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, they make Professor Umbridge's stay undelightful and create a swamp in one of the corridors before leaving the school.

After leaving the school, they follow their dreams and start a joke shop somewhere in Diagon alley. Using the money given to them by Harry, who won it by winning the Triwizard Tournament in book 4, they create joke items and gag candies they worked on over the course of the books. They create candies that can make your nose bleed on command, your tongue swell up, and quills that write rude and untrue things about people when the owner isn’t looking.

These two are my heroes because they aren’t afraid to live. They always see the positive side of everything. They’re always there to lend a hand and help someone on their way. They followed their dreams and started their joke shop. A very successful one. They also aren’t afraid to say what’s on their minds. They helped a lot of people who didn’t have the courage to stand up to Professor Umbridge and told her that she needed to back off. They saved Hogwarts from being turned into a Military boot camp, so to speak.