Wheat

by Ulrica from Taipei

My Hero “Wheat”

I think everyone of us should have a hero, a role model, to follow. HERO is an important existence not only to me but also to people all over the world. You might wonder what my hero is? The answer might surprise you. It is “Wheat.”

wheat (google search)
wheat (google search)

Wheat has been cultivated for at least 11,000 years. Through the long history, it has helped us live through starvation and satisfied our luxurious sensation of eating. The function and usage of wheat vary from dynasty to dynasty, culture to culture. For example, it can be made into noodle, bread, cake or cookies. I really respect it not only because it brings us the full-feeling but it provides us with full energy.

To me, wheat is my hero. They are so humble that we are likely to take it for granted and forget their sacrifice for us. They die so we could live. Wheat grows under the sun, the rain and even the storm and until autumn they bend down to the world because of the countless heavy rice ears. Then they are waiting to feed the living creatures. They imagine the living creatures’ smile while obtaining the power to grow. No matter how many challenges we will face, no matter how hard we struggle, we will have the energy and get the hope again from the wheat-related-foods. I think wheat becomes a symbol of lifeforce.

I love wheat because a little event happened in my childhood. The first time I fell in love with it was on a cold winter night. I went out with my mom for her business. After she finished the business negotiation, it was about two o’clock am. It was dark, gloomy and cold. With exhaustion, I arrived home suddenly feeling starving and losing all of my energy. During this time, my mom checked the foods we had and started to cook. What did she cook? It was a bowl of noodle soup with gush of temperate steam. Ooh my!!! The original tiredness seemed to disappear because of the warm soup and the firm texture of the noodles. I was just six then, the first time I fell in love with wheat. Then with time passing by, my affection for wheat is getting stronger. Now I am sixteen. The thing I like to do best is strolling on the street near my house under the gentle shining sun and visiting every bakery I pass by. Wheat! Wheat! Wheat! All the bread is made from wheat. I think I was bathed in the wheat.

Maybe it sounds weird, but that’s it — wheat is my hero!!! It’s neither a millionaire nor a superman; rather, it’s vegetation. To me, it takes a big part in my life. And it teaches me being humble, as the proverb goes, “The heavier rice ears are, the lower they bend.” It warms my heart and body when I feel depressed or tired and also satisfies my sensation of eating. Wheat always gives us energy quietly. That’s why we forget to thank it and treasure what it gives us sometimes. I’m grateful that wheat teaches me so many things so I could know how to be humble and generous. And these are important qualities for a human being. Wheat is my HERO!!

killerplants - picture1
allergies-tips - picture1
freefoto - picture2

links: daily-survival (picture2)http://daily-survival.blogspot.com/2009_04_14_archive.html