William Rodriguez

by Melanie from Cornwall

" I survived under the rubble and everyone else died."
The World Trade Center on September 11th 2001 (www.inforwars.com)

If you ask me, William Rodriguez is a hero because he was one of many who made a difference on September 11th when the terrorists attacked the World Trade Center. A hero to me is a person who risks their life to make sure the others are in no danger or a person who shows bravery and selflessness. William Rodriguez has all of these and many more.

William was born and raised in Puerto Rico and moved to New Jersey. When he moved to New Jersey he got a job as a janitor in the World Trade Center. In 1993 he was also witness of the World Trade Center public parking garage bombing, this one did not have a big impact on the building but William got stuck in an elevator.

William Rodriguez has many great qualities but his best ones are bravery. Many people were just looking at what was happening while he decided to go back inside. He is selfless, he did not think of what could happen to himself he just went back in. He is considerate, he was thinking of all the people that were dying, and went back to save them. He was determined to get as many people as possible out of the collapsing building. Last but not least he is useful, without him hundreds more would have died that day.

William Rodriguez with the master key. (http://www.9-11hero.com/home)

William Rodriguez deserves the title of hero because of his courageous acts on September 11th 2001. When the plane crashed into the World Trade Center Rodriguez was with Anthony Saltalamacia, doing his job as a janitor when suddenly he heard a big boom! He was confused. He heard a couple more explosions than ran out of the building. His buddy Anthony told him to stay outside where it was safer, but he refused to stand and watch the breathtaking scene, so he ran back inside and personally saved fifteen people and aided firefighters save hundreds of others. He was the only one with the master key that day, so he led the firefighters up the stairwell. He was then buried under the rubble but held on to his life until rescuers came four hours later. People say, he was the last one out of the North Tower. After this tragic day he lost his job that he had for 19 years and was even homeless for a while.

William Rodriguez is a great hero to me and for many people who lost their loved ones on that tragic day. He will always be remembered as a symbol of courage. He is an amazing man who decided he had to do something to help the people who were trapped inside the World Trade Center. He was more than just a janitor that day; he was a lifesaver.

Hero's testimony has unfortunately become unreliable over time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Rodriguez