Wyland

by Nikki from Laguna Beach

Wyland, My Hero

My hero is Wyland. Wyland is an artist who does paintings, sculptures, and murals. His murals are called "whaling walls." Wyland has painted whaling walls in many different places such as the U.S., Canada, Japan, and Australia. Wyland inspires many people and has 25,000 collectors of his work!

Here are some more interesting facts about Wyland. He was one of the first artists to make marine life art popular. He is a marine life artist, which means that he paints things such as dolphins, fish, whales and other animals. Sometimes he also includes beaches, people, and even Disney characters like Goofy, Mickey, Donald, Daisy, Pluto, Minnie, Ariel, Flounder, and Sebastian. They are in the ocean in his Disney-related paintings. As for his whaling walls, he has created over 84! Those are some interesting facts about Wyland.

Now I will tell about where he lives. Wyland lives on the top floor of one of his galleries in California. It is like a gallery/house with an ocean view! It would be helpful to live in an art gallery with inspiration right out your window. Wyland can make art upstairs and put it downstairs quicker than making it and driving to the art gallery.

I will now tell more about Wyland's life. He was born in 1956 and, in 1981, he built his first whaling wall in Laguna Beach, California. He plans to have 100 completed whaling walls by 2011.

I chose this person to be my hero because he inspired me to become an artist when I grow up. I have met Wyland before and he is very nice. He also does great artwork. That is why Wyland is my hero.