Yesenia Cruz

by Stephanie from Hawthorne

Teen pregnancy is a hard thing to handle. I can say that because my family and I have gone through it. My sister had a kid when she was still a teenager but she is still my hero because she has showed me how strong she is. I've always looked up to my sister ever since I was a child.

We grew up together and even though we fight sometimes the way regular siblings do, I love my big sister Yesenia. She taught me so many things and has always been there for me. Everyone makes mistakes because they're human. My sister got pregnant at the age of 17. It was hard for our family, especially for her. We went through that hard time but we pulled through. My sister Yesenia Cruz gave birth and a couple of days later I met my nephew Guillermo Cruz. We were all so happy. He is honestly the cutest kid ever and I love him with all my heart. Everyone has problems and when I'm dealing with mine or I'm feeling depressed he comes and cheers me right up.

I know my sister finds it hard to raise a kid at such a young age but I know there are good things about having a kid. I asked her what she liked about being a mom and she said "I love being called mom because when he does, I know it's his way of showing me he loves me". She finds it scary in whether or not she'll do a good job as a mother. I would be too if I had a child. I wasn't there when she had him but she told me she was shocked that she could have him. She also felt scared because she was a mom for life now. Her favorite part about being a mom is putting him to sleep and watching him sleep peacefully.

My sister made a mistake and it's been hard on her. She was young and didn't know what she was doing. Yet she pulled through this tough situation and proved that she was strong. I love my sister and I have always looked up to her. My sister is an amazing mom who truly loves cares and would do anything for her son like any good mother would.. She has worked hard in her job to provide for him. She puts him to sleep when he gets fussy and protects him from harm. She is someone I admire and think is an amazing person. She is my hero.

Everyone makes mistakes especially when they're young but it's okay because we're human. Nobody is perfect and I believe that nobody has the right to judge anyone. People should be judged on who they truly are. There have been many teenage pregnancies and although she was young when she had him, she is still a good mother. Any teenager can give birth to a child but not every teenager can be a real parent.