Yves Saint Laurent

by Tabitha from Palmer, Alaska

Yves Saint Laurent
Yves Saint Laurent

Inspired. Amazing. Creative. Shy. Meaningful. Hero. This is Yves Saint Laurent. Born in Oran, Algeria during 1936, this creative soul would become one of the most legendary fashion designers of our life time.  He had a heroic life because of his career, designs, and the world acclaiming him to be one of the most legendary fashion designers.

YSL designs
YSL designs

Yves Saint Laurent's career all started when he was enrolled at Chambre Syndicale de la Couture, at age 17. His designs were quickly noticed and Yves was introduced to Christian Dior. This landed a job with the fashion figure, Christian Dior. Under Dior's guide, Yves Saint Laurent learned more about fashion and his designs were perfected. Later, he left his job with Christian Dior to start on his own.

YSL designs on display
YSL designs on display

Starting up with his own new, original, signature pieces, Yves Saint Laurent's designs gained much attention. His popular designs included pea coats, blazers, and shear blouses. These classic designs were very "in" in the 1960's. His designs are so influential, that they are still around today.  

sketch of a YSL design
sketch of a YSL design

Yves Saint Laurent had many brilliant successes to follow the year 1980. Firstly, he was the first fashion designer to have his work featured at the Metropolitan Museum in New York. Also, he was awarded the "Lifetime Achievement" award from the Council Members of America. Yves became a legendary fashion designer by creating classic, elegant clothing. He thought of the rules of fashion and changed them by creating his adored line of woman's clothing.

Sadly, Yves Saint Laurent retired in January of 2002, and later on died June 1, 2006.  His sense of style and his designs will never be forgotten. Yves Saint Laurent created elegant and classic pieces that were very recognizable and popular. His career lead him to many opportunities and helped him with his designs and fashion.

Yves Saint Laurent's designs inspire even the youngest minds to a great deal. I personally have looked upon his designs with a great adoration. His fashion sense is very much like how I dress; polished, yet modern. Yves Saint Laurent accomplished so much and he worked his way to the top that he is my hero of fashion.