Yair Marquez

by Jose Cardoso from Anchorage

My Brother

Something that makes someone a hero would be the fact that they try to help others. They're always putting someone's safety before their own. Sacrificing themselves for the people they care about. Protecting the innocent and fighting for the weak. Being a hero doesn't necessarily mean you have to have super powers. The fact that you try to do things that make the world a better place. At least the things around you.

I admire my brother, Yair Marquez, for he is my hero. As I was growing up he wasn't just a brother but a dad. As we were growing up my brother, my sister and I all grew up without a dad. So my brother kinda filled that for us, giving us places to eat and also made us food. Whenever I get hurt he would always take care of me. Even now he's helping me through life. He guides me on all the right things to do but still makes me make my own mistakes. He is a one of a kind brother. He's really smart and he's currently going to his 6th or 7th year in college I believe. He took some time off to get married and settle his papers in Canada. Not only has he helped me but my sister and my mother. He's really quite calm and can make any situation funny. One time I remember quite clearly was when I saw a scary movie back when I was like six years old. We had to go to bed but I was so freaked out that they might pop out at night. I told my mom but she didn't really care and give the same old speech how there's no such things. Well anyways after my mom left my brother came and got me and took me to his room. I was really happy and felt safe around him. Even though he freaked me out a little saying that he's one of them and such. Yet I still felt safe around him. He's done so much for me and my sister. He is a true hero in my eyes.

This hero I'm about to talk about is my very own flesh and blood - my brother. He has been there for me all the time. We currently went our separate ways but we still keep in touch.