Yogi Berra

by Ryan from Palmer, Massachusetts

Described by Webster’s dictionary, a hero is an object of extreme admiration and devotion. But to me a hero is someone who never gives up and is successful in what he or she does. And to me, that person is the baseball legend Yogi Berra. One thing not too many people know is that he was part on the special date June 6th, 1944. Also, many know him as being a baseball player during the golden age of baseball. Berra is also a father of three children.

While on the New York Yankees, Yogi was number 8 and was part of 10 World Series and received 10 World Series rings out of it. He participated for 17 years as a part of the Yankees. After his 17 year streak there, he went to the Mets for only one year. Then Yogi became manager of the Yankees. In 1972 Yogi was inducted into the hall of fame.

June 6th, 1944 was the date that Yogi went out to the invasion of D-Day. Yogi was 18 during this invasion of Normandy. On the thirty-six foot Amphibis. Yogi was a survivor of D-Day. But during the preparation for the battle and during the battle Yogi couldn’t write or talk to his family. This I would assume made it hard on Yogi and his family to not know what’s going on with their own family.

Yogi’s wife Carmen Berra and Yogi got married on January 26, 1949. Yogi is also a proud father of three children. Two of which played professional sports, Dale played baseball, and Tim played football. Yogi also helped out around his community. At the local museum he gave nine World Series rings. Yogi only wears the 1951 ring marking the fifth consecutive World Series championship. Yogi also donated the 1951 World Series banner and three World Series trophies.

Yogi's baseball yearbook photo (internet)

So in conclusion, Yogi Berra is a great man who anyone can look up to; a man who served his country, risked his life for our sake. A man who had a successful career and managed a family. That is truly a great man. Who is your hero?

wiki answers - yogis life
acheivement.org - yogis war time