Yao Ming

by Calvin from lawndale

“Distance tests a horse’s strength. Time reveals a person character.”
Yao Ming (Internet)
Yao Ming (Internet)

What is a hero to you? Well to me a hero is a person who you idolize or who you look up to. My hero, who I idolize is Yao Ming. Yao is a professional basketball player that plays for the Houston Rockets. Yao is a very hard worker like other NBA players. He can change a whole basketball game around by inspiring his teammates. Yao also went to China to play in the Olympics twice. Yao has inspired a lot of children that they too can be great.

rockets logo (internet)
rockets logo (internet)

Please allow me to tell you about hard Yao works. Before he joins the NBA the Houston Rockets were one of the worst team ever, having a record of 37-56 (wins-loses). In 2002 he joined the Houston Rockets and then the Rockets actually got better and now the Rockets are in the top 20 in the NBA. In one of his first games they were going to go against the 3 time NBA champions the Lakers. In the end the Rockets won 108-104 in overtime. Even Shaquille O’Neal, the Lakers center left a comment about how good Yao was. Today Yao has many fans both old and young who support him. Also Yao supports a lot of children by donating money.

his parents (internet)
his parents (internet)

Yao was born on September 12,1980 in Shanghai, China. His parents were also basketball stars that played for China’s national team. His parents were also very tall his dad was 6-6 and his mother is 6-3. When Yao was little he could not make a basket. By the age of 12 he was 6-6. Also by the age of 14 he was on the junior professional team, the Shanghai Sharks. Yao also went to the Olympics twice both in China and was nominated rookie of the year twice. Yao is now 28 yrs old, weighs 310 pounds, and is 7-6.

The characteristic I admire the most about my hero is his determination to never give up. For example during the Olympic games even though China was losing he kept on trying to make shots and inspiring his team to try harder. Also, Yao is determined to never give up and tries to improve his game every day. For instance, Yao practices every day with his wife who cheers him on while he practices. Another fact is that Yao is always determined in a game because he really wants to win it for his team. Another characteristic that I like about Yao is how tall he is and also that he is in the NBA, which I want to be in when I grow up. Most of all I admire him for his determination.

In the end, Yao Ming is my hero because he is a hard worker who is always trying his best for his team. Next, Yao is also a tall person who uses his height to block shots and dunk baskets. Also, he is very kind person who goes to schools to talk and donates money to charity. Another reason is he is in the NBA and I would like to be in the NBA. These are the reasons why Yao Ming is my hero.