Zinedine Yazid Zidane

by Mitja from Maribor, Slovenia

World and Europe Champion with French Soccer Team in July 1998 and July 2000. He is the only football player who made me play and train harder, because I wanted to be like him. The way he played in WC in Germany 2006 finals was the best game ever – only because of him, France got as far as they did. (all the way to finals, where they lost to Italy). He is a national hero in France, and best player in the world according to FIFA in 1998, 2000 and 2003. In 1998 he also won the Golden Ball award.

His greatest achievements: World Champion with France (1998), European Champion with France (2000). Winner of the Intercontinental Cup (1996, 2002), the UEFA Champions League (2002), and the UEFA Super Cup (1996, 2002).

The fact that he comes from a very poor Algerian family, living in some poor district in Marseille reminds us that everyone can reach distant dreams – nothing is impossible.

On 26 April, 2006 he officially announced his decision to retire after the World Cup in Germany. That made me sad, because there won't be as great a footballer as him for a long time (maybe his son, who is training hard at Madrid, where so called »Zizou« lives).

Although he won many awards he is still humble; "I have won many awards and I am very happy about this, but I am not the best player in the world." – one of his quotes. I wish there would be more people like him – he's also involved in charity in Africa. VIVA LA ZIZOU!

Canada.com - "Moroccans throng to Zidane, Ronaldo charity match for poverty"

Best football player that ever lived.