Zeta Tau Alpha at Indiana University

by A woman of Zeta Tau Alpha

One hundred young women. One goal. Every year, the women of Zeta Tau Alpha at Indiana University in Bloomington raise money and awareness to support breast cancer research through their philanthropy, Big Man on Campus (BMOC). Last year alone, the women raised more than $190,000. The money raised helps fund breast cancer research done by the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the Indiana University Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center in Indianapolis.

Total raised from BMOC 2009
Total raised from BMOC 2009

The philanthropy consists of an event where 23 young men from IU’s campus entertain a packed auditorium with their talents in hopes to earn the title of “Big Man on Campus.” Their scores are based on talent, and of course, fundraising efforts.

From passing out breast cancer ribbons during crowded events, to developing partnerships with local businesses to gain support, the women of Zeta Tau Alpha strive to organize and improve their philanthropy each year. The first month upon returning to school in the fall is referred to as “BMOC season” by the women. Fall tailgates and weekend nights are spent fundraising. Car washes, percent nights at local restaurants, and other community events fill the agendas of the women despite long days of classes, homework and other commitments.

After donating healthy breast tissue to IU Medica

The most inspiring and amazing thing is that the women’s desire to support breast cancer research doesn’t stop at their BMOC philanthropy event. The women of Zeta Tau Alpha wanted to contribute more than money to breast cancer research. On Saturday, Jan. 23, 2010, 40 of the women donated their healthy breast tissue at the Indiana University Medical Center in Indianapolis. The one-gram of healthy tissue collected is used to compare to diseased tissue. Because the donated tissue is so young, it is a great contribution to advance breast cancer research. They’ve also participated in breast cancer walks and have extended their efforts by fundraising during the spring and summer months in their hometowns throughout the country.

Sophmore girls canning at a football game

The energy and leadership exhibited throughout the sorority is truly inspiring. It’s an amazing feeling to know that a group of young female college students can achieve so much through their teamwork and desire to help such a powerful cause. The tireless efforts of certain individuals are contagious throughout the sorority and the campus. With a new BMOC season quickly approaching, the women are already beginning to fundraise and develop plans for the October 8th event.

One of the reasons I chose to become a member of Zeta Tau Alpha was their commitment to the philanthropy because the cause hits close to home. My family has been greatly affected by breast cancer even before I was born. My grandmother died at age 53 from a 5-year battle of breast cancer. By the time she was diagnosed she had contracted stage-4 breast cancer that was too late to cure. Unfortunately, at age 43, my mom was the only one of her two sisters who tested positive for the gene. From there she never wavered from her decision to undergo a preventative surgery of a double mastectomy and removal of her ovaries so that they would stop producing estrogen; the fertilizer to cancer.

After 12 hours of this reconstructive surgery the pathologists had found a 3-centimeter tumor located in her upper left breast. It was as much of a shock to us as it was to them. My mom had gone in for yearly mammograms, MRIs, ultrasounds and breast exams, which were all clear. I will never forget my mom coming out of surgery when she looked up at me and said, “Any complications?” Right then and there, she knew that something had gone wrong, which had to have been written all over my tear-streaked face. That day, my mom went in for a life-changing surgery which ended up being a life-saving surgery. The doctors said that the nature of her tumor would not have appeared in any tests available today… just like her mother, it would have gone undetected until it was out and running. She chose to undergo chemotherapy and today she takes oral medications and hormonal therapy to combat any leftover cancer cells and is doing just fine.

Last year my mom decided to join me in my first year with BMOC and was completely taken aback by how hard we come together every year and devote our lives to a cause that supports her and many other women. When the show ended she turned to me and said, “I am so proud to have you as my daughter and to see what you do here at school.” She says she is so lucky to have the connection she does with what we do and what we strive for every year. She was completely impressed with our efforts, as was I.

Zeta is something special, not solely because of our breast cancer philanthropy, but because of the special, dedicated young women that come together to fight this cause everyday. I am so proud of the women I have met here at Zeta and I know that what we do for BMOC will always be something I treasure and carry in my heart forever. I can truly say that I am privileged to call myself a Zeta and privileged to have met all of these wonderful women. The endless pursuit in contributing to breast cancer research makes the women of Zeta Tau Alpha at Indiana University my hero.